7267 Online
108809 Solutions
New Discussion

NetRAID/new drives have no capacity

JoeLong
Occasional Contributor

NetRAID/new drives have no capacity

So...
I'm trying to rebuild an array on an LH4 with an integrated Ultra2 NetRAID controller. I had two drives die and i bought two 4.2 GB Ultra2 (D6104-63001) drives from HP. Either of these cause the "Firmware spinning drives" delay at POST and show up with no capacity in NetRAID Express Tools. It does display the drive names and information, but it acts like they're not spinning. I can't format or anything else.

I've updated the firmware of the BIOS and the NetRAID array. The adapter was set to Fast, i changed it to Ultra2. I've tried them in all kinds of slots.

I also have a spare LH3000 with an Ultra3 NetRAID controller and these drives do the same thing in this one. I find it unlikely that HP would ship out two bad drives at the same time.

Suggestions? Thanks!
1 REPLY 1
e4services
Honored Contributor

Re: NetRAID/new drives have no capacity

Well, I do not think there is many other explainations. That is a very old drive, I had to look it up. Typically if the drive does not report correctly yo will see what you are seeing. That is thhe drive is not definitively failed, but for some reason, the drive not spinning or bad data in the drive Firmware or the drive electronics, the controller ends up not receiving capacity data from the drive and reports 0GB.
One must ask why you bought these no longer availabe 4GB drives? Because there were existing 4GB? You can substitute any larger drive for a smaller one even in an existing array and even HP recommends you replace all their 4 and 9 GB with 18s or 36s when the go bad because of how unreliable the old drives were.
Replace the drives.
Use 36GB drives, they are still available as new and are the same price as 18GB these days since 18GB drives went out a year ago.
Hot Swap Hard Drives