108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

NetRaid Error

Cindy Ohara
Occasional Advisor

NetRaid Error

I have an LH3R, PII-450.
Upon bootup, I get:
Adapter at Baseport F000H is not responding.
No HP NetRaid Adapter.

This is a production server
What can I do tonight, before work tomorrow?

Thanks!

Cindy
12 REPLIES 12
amhakassa
Honored Contributor

Re: NetRaid Error

Hi Cindy,

disconnect the server from power and open the server cover. If you flip the top cover of the server you will get the systemboard diagram of the server and if you do find that look for "Configuration Switch" which is important to find out where it is for the steps below. Here is what I want u to do first
1. Flip Switch# 5 in to the ON Postion(normally it should be OFF) the configuration swtich
2. Power up the server (of course u have to plug server power cords back in to power up ha ha)
3. You will get an error that tells you that swtich#5 is is in the ON position and to flip it back
4. Power down server (make sure u took proper precaution on electro static discharge when u touch those switchs) and flip Switch# 5 back to where it was (which is OFF)
5. Reseat the SCSI cable that goes from the I/O board to the Drive cage
6. Reboot the machine and see if that helps.

If Issue is resolved after the above steps great if not I would recommend updating the firmware on the Netraid controller as follows

1. Download the latest firmware from this link (You will need one formated floppy diskette)
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=50440&prodNameId=15389&swEnvOID=54&swLang=13&mode=2&taskId=135&swItem=ns-30399-1

2. Double click the downloaded file and follow the on screen instruction that will creat a bootable floppy diskette that will updates a firmware
3. Boot server from that floppy diskette and follow the online instruction to update the firmware
4. if the firmware is updated successfully great if not get back to me and will see another step

I hope this will help

Regards
Amha Kassa
Cindy Ohara
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for your reply!
I moved Switch 5 to ON, reseated I/O cable on SCSI A, and rebooted. Upon rebooting, I get message:
"The configuration has been cleared to factory defaults.
Set the Clear Configuration switch to the OFF position before rebooting.
Warning!
The default Integrated HP NetRaid configuration may be different from your original configuration. This may lead to data loss.
To restore your Integrated HP NetRaid configuration, press F11 during RAM test on system boot."

Do I need to press F11 during boot up, after moving switch 5 to OFF?

Thanks.

Cindy
amhakassa
Honored Contributor

Hi Cindy

Yes u should do that but instead You can press F2 Key while server booting and save and exit the new configuration with F10

Regards
amha
Cindy Ohara
Occasional Advisor

Hi.
The Switch 5 and reboot did not work. Same message as before. I'm working on downloading the firmware.
Thanks.
Cindy Ohara
Occasional Advisor

Hi.
The Switch 5 and reboot did not work. Same message as before.
I do notice that just as the Scsi & drives are being scanned during boot up, 2 drives don't light up like the others. I think one of these drives is drive 0. All 6 drives (I have only 1 drv cage here), have power lights on, but the activity light comes on strong for the other 4 drives during that step, but not the other 2 drvs.

I'm working on downloading the firmware.

Thanks.
amhakassa
Honored Contributor

HI Cindy,

Do the firmware and let me knwo what happened after and will take another action

Amha Kassa
Cindy Ohara
Occasional Advisor

Hi.
Flash upgrade a no-go.
The server boots off the diskette. I get a title something like, Hp NetServer Flash Update Utility B.02.08, and just a blinking cursor below that. Nothing seems to happen for maybe 15 seconds, and then the server reboots. This happened twice. Nothing prompts me or provides any info.

What would be something I can try next?

Thanks.
amhakassa
Honored Contributor

HI Cindy

It sounds like the Netraid controllar is gone. The best way is to replace the I/O board or else you can buy an add on pci raid controller 1Si or 3Si. Thses controllers has the same chip as the raid controller chip on the I/O board so you sshould be able to use them. the part# for these controller or the I/O board are

D5955-69001 -- NetRaid-3Si three-channel disk array controller - PCI board with three internal 68-pin High Density and three external 68-pin High Density Uultra Wide SCSI connectors - NetRAID-3Si Three-Channel Disk Array Controller - PCI Board With Three Internal 68 Pin

D2140-69004 -- NetRaid-1Si one-channel disk array controller - PCI board with one internal 68-pin High Density and one external 68-pin Ultra High Density SCSI connector - NetRAID-1Si One-Channel Disk Array Controller - PCI Board with One Internal 68 Pin High Density and

D5000-69001 -- I/O board - Contains ISA and PCI accessory slots - I/O Board - Contains ISA and PCI Accessory Slots - One of the Large Boards in Center of Chassis

To order call 1-800-227-8164 Option 2/1/2

If you decide to replace the I/O Board or the Netraid controller card here is how u do replace it

1. replace the I/Oboard, or the Netraid controller (which ever the case might be)
2. Reboot the machine and at some point you will get the following error
"Configuration Mismatch between disk and NVRAM"
that happens because the newcontroller or the Chip on the new I/O board configurationn is different from the one that is already saved on the hard drives
3. Press CTRL + M--Takes u to Netraid Express Tools
4. Choose Configure/View-Add-Delete. At this point u will get two option
View NVRAM
View DISK
5. Choose View Disk
6. Once u see the configuration press ESC to exit and you will be prompted to save the configuration then choose YES (Make sure u selected the right choice which is disk not NVRAM)

7. Press ESC all the way , then you will be Prompted to reboot the machine so do that
8. up on next reboot server should boot ok

I hope this will help

Let em know if you need more help
amhakassa@hotmail.com
amhakassa@yahoo.com

Regards
Amha Kassa
Cindy Ohara
Occasional Advisor

Hi.
Placed drives into another server of same model. Same symptom/error: Adapter at Baseport F000H is not responding. No HP NetRaid adapter. Problem moved with the drives.

If I pull out one drive, and boot server, server will sense a new configuration, and ask to save the new configuration. Will I be able to tell it to not save the changes? I was hoping to mimic a bad drive, so server will ignore it and boot anyway, and tell us the drive needs to be replaced/rebuilt.

Thanks.

Cindy