108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Netserver E60 Hard Disk Upgrade

SOLVED
Go to solution
Oscar Gil
Advisor

Netserver E60 Hard Disk Upgrade

I have one spare Netserver E60 and I would like to use it as a NAS solution (for non intensive use, of course)
I have found info in the web telling that its IDE controller will not support IDE Drives greater than 20 GB or perhaps no IDE hard disk drives at all, and also info telling that the maximum SCSI hard drive capacity for upgrading is 18GB. ├В┬┐Has anyone tried 36GB or bigger SCSI disks on it? ├В┬┐Any solution for the IDE issue?

Thanks in advan
6 REPLIES 6
e4services
Honored Contributor

Re: Netserver E60 Hard Disk Upgrade

On the IDE, you are correct. But an IDE controller that CAN support modern hard drives is cheap and can be added simply.
On the SCSI, you are NOT limited to drive size. Any available size drive will work including the 181GB
Hot Swap Hard Drives
Oscar Gil
Advisor

I have never worked with non embedded IDE controllers, that was the reason for my doubts, I will contact a local reseller and try a new one.

Many thanks
Naveen_21

Hi
Its true that acc to spec the max hdd supported is 18 gb but we can install 36 gb also in same but rpm shud be 7200 rpm.With this bios shud be a latest one which u can get it from the below url
1)www.hp.com/cposupport.

2)http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DriverDownload.jsp?locale=en_US&pnameOID=18330&taskId=135&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=45937тМй=en&cc=us&swEnvOID=54

Regarding IDE hdd we will get the max storage cap as 20gb only but if you have a 40 gb also u can install the same but while detection it will give you a capacity of 20gb max with that alos you have to update the bios as latest one.

BIOS VERSION IS /24 Apr 2001 /REVISION 4.06.26 PN

So pls check it
Phil Brown
Solution

Hi,

We asked a similar question before about upgrading the disks in an E60.

Due to the high cost of SCSI disks (compared to IDE or even SATA) we opted to go down the route of installing a SATA controller. It may depend what operating system you intend to use to ensure you buy one that is compatible or is supported. We bought the Maxtor SATA/150 PCI combo interface and a 120Gb SATA hard disk - All is fine and well.

Regards

Phil
Steve Presson

I have installed 2 80 GB IDE hard disks and my Net Server E60 is running like a sewing machine. No modifications were necessary - using XP pro...dual 550s...768 Mb ram. Replaced SCSI tape drive w/ CD writer slaved to original CD Rom. NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4200 video card. SP
btu001

Re: Netserver E60 BIOS Upgrade

Where can i find this bios upgrade today?

BIOS VERSION IS /24 Apr 2001 /REVISION 4.06.26 PN