9797 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Netserver LC2000 (Rack)

SOLVED
Go to solution
Agustin Tonsay_1

Netserver LC2000 (Rack)

I have 3 HP Netservers running Windows 2000 with Terminal Services for Administration. I'm using an 8-port Belkin KVM Switch for my rack and I'm having reboot problems. Whenever I reboot from the TS Client, the server doesnt reboot past the safe to shutdown until the console switch is focused on the server being rebooted. It looks like the server is looking for the keyboard and mouse. I heard an HP HAL needs to be installed, but I can't find it anywhere. Please help.
8 REPLIES 8
Paul R. Dittrich
Esteemed Contributor
Solution

Two comments:

1. The Hardware Abstraction Layer is implemented as the file hal.dll and I have never yet seen a vendor-specific version of it.

2. Get a different KVM and your reboot problem will go away. We see no system hangs.

HTH,
Paul
Dries Bertier
Respected Contributor

Don't change your server's hal.dll. Try to contact belkin about the problem or try another one.

Dries
<< please try >>
Trevor Jones_2

I am having the exact same problem with LH 6000's on Belkin OmniView Pro 8-port switches (F1D108-OSD). The server will not boot if the switch isn't on the server's channell. When you switch to the server's channell simply pressing a key on the keyboard or moving the mouse will cause the server to start the boot process. This happens on 7 different server connected to 2 independent Belkin switches. Can't be a coincidence.
Jim Klo

I have the same problem with all of our lp and lpr netservers. It's definitely not a coincidence. We've tried other KVM's with no success. I'm wondering if there is there a way to configure the bios to ignore the ps2 ports at boot?
Agustin Tonsay_1

We got a replacement from Belkin and it has fixed the problem. Thank you for all your replies.
Terri Harris
Honored Contributor

Did Belkin advise what the actual problem was?
Did they replace the switch box with the same model?
frank fung
Advisor

I have six HP racks with a combination of LC2000, LP2000 and LPr. I have absolutely no problems using the HP supplied switchboxes. I guess what I am saying is that even though it costs a little more than the KVM and may have less features, it may be a smart idea to buy all HP hardware to have the state of mind that everything is going to work togethar.
Matt Ostiguy
Occasional Advisor

Yep, Belkin kvm's are definitely a one 9 availability solution - if you can tolerate your servers being up only 90-95ish percent of the time, go for it.