1753516 Members
5422 Online
108795 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Netserver LH3 - Red Blinking Light

David Nguyen_2

Netserver LH3 - Red Blinking Light

Hello,

My LH3 has this red blinking light on the front panel. I looked at the event log and it says that CPU Fan #1 is too slow at 0 rpm. So I down the server and open it up. I check all the fans and they are running perfectly. All the power supplies are green and running also. I vaccummed all the dust, but the red light is still blinking. The light was green before.

I am wondering if the red blinking light is a fluke or is there really something wrong. If there's nothing wrong, is there a way to clear the red blinking light?

Thanks
9 REPLIES 9
Greg Carlson
Honored Contributor

David,

Clear the Event Log and reboot the server. If the error and red LED comes back try reseating your cpu fan. If you still get the error you need to replace that fan.. Normally that is not a false error.

Ciao,
Greg
Lets Roll!
David Nguyen_2

Ok,

Let me clarify something, when the event log says CPU fan #1, what fan are the referring to? On the CPU itself, i don't recall it having a fan, it has a heatsink. But next to the CPU there's a fan. Is that CPU fan #1?

When you say resitting the CPU fan, do u mean upluging the cable?

Thank you for your help
Greg.

David
Greg Carlson
Honored Contributor

David,

On the LH3 the CPU fan is next to the CPU's and it is plugged in.. I would just unplug it and then plug it back in along with clearing the Event log. If that doesn't resolve it you probably need to replace that fan.

Hope this helps..
Greg
Lets Roll!
david_216

I have this same problem,
after clearing the event log and unplugging and plugging in the fan, the red light still comes on. You say to replace the fan. Why would you need to replace a fan that is working fine? This just started happening after installed W2K server. ????
Brian Peters
Frequent Advisor

Hello Dave,

The CPU fan gives a feedback signal back to a sensor that is located on the system board. If the fan is functional and you get 0 rpms, that would mean that the feedback signal has been severed.

Basically, it is a toss up, either it is the fan or the system board. An easy test would be to use a cpu fan from another system and install it. Clear the event log and power on. If you get no errors then you know that the fan was faulty. If you still get 0 rpms then I would suggest replacing the system board.

Good luck!

Sean O'Neil

I'm currently assigned to a hospital building a test Oracle database on an LH3. I did a clean NT4 server install not using the navigator CD (when autorun it tells you that it does not support this sever). I had to upgrade the BIOS on the server to get it to work and ever since the red light has been blinking. Seems too much a coincidence. I wonder if new BIOS is trying to monitor a fan that is not present on this system - hence 0 rpm. I haven't opened the box or reset the event viewer.

Anybody got any ideas?
Theo Hill_1
Honored Contributor

I would say start by opening the box and checking the fans, then clearing the event viewer. :) You can also install instant top tools and check the fan speeds. You can find instant top tools here:

http://www.hp.com/toptools/download/server_agents.html
Sean O'Neil

All the fans are spinning fine. I don't really want to seat and unseat components that have been working fine for some years.

I just find it difficult to accept that it is a coincidence that this has only happened since the BIOS change. Were there later LH3's that did have fans mounted on the CPU's ie Pentium III based rather than Pentium II's which only have a heat sink.

How do you clear the log down on these old beasts? The customer doesn't appear to have the manuals for this box and I'm struggling to understand the buttons on the front.

Cheers
Theo Hill_1
Honored Contributor

You can boot to the Navigator CD and find the Event Log Viewer and clear it there. Or you can install instant top tools and clear it from there.