108809 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Netserver Processor Upgrade

SOLVED
Go to solution
Kurt Matthies
Valued Contributor

Netserver Processor Upgrade

We own a Netserver LC2000 733Mhz. We'd like some SMP bang for our buck and are thinking of adding the second CPU.

But we're also thinking that if we need matched CPUs, why not up the clock speed?

Does anyone have any experience / advice in putting a couple of faster CPUs in these things? After all, isn't this the same sys board that runs in the newer, faster LCs?

The box was manufactured last Nov.

We're thinking of maybe getting matched 1Ghz PIII if the board's components will support them.

It's currently running 133Mhz FSB, and I see a dip switch to muck with the clock speed.

Any help here? Thanks in advance.

--kwgm
If if ain't broke, don't fix it.
5 REPLIES 5
Theo Hill_1
Honored Contributor

So you are thinking of overclocking a server? Probably not the best thing to do, due to heat and stability issues. The system board will handle the 1GHz system.
Theo Hill_1
Honored Contributor
Solution

So you are thinking of overclocking a server? Probably not the best thing to do, due to heat and stability issues. The system board will handle the 1GHz processors.
Kurt Matthies
Valued Contributor

No, I'm not overclocking...

I'm thinking of getting 2 x 1Ghz rated processors and replace the 733 that's in there.

Thanks for the info that the board will support 1Ghz. That's what I wanted to know.
If if ain't broke, don't fix it.
Theo Hill_1
Honored Contributor

Make sure you are using the latest BIOS rev when you upgrade.
Bryan Albee
Occasional Advisor

HP has gone to a new model on the lc2000 for 1ghz and above.. it is the LC2000 U3 (for ultra 3, or starfish 3) whatever you want to call it. You MUST use the M.04.00 Navigator and you MUST replace the cables to the ultra 3 cable set (it is the braided u3 cable set) not sure of the part number. You may also want to ask HP if the hot swap cage part has changed as well..as the backplane on the standard lc2k may be different than the LC2000 U3.