Netservers
1752732 Members
6208 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Network Server Mode

Steve Duft

Network Server Mode

On a NetServer LP2000r there is a "Network Server Mode" option in the security section of the bios setup. When selected you must type your bios admin password to use the keyboard. After unlocking the keyboard, how do you relock it without rebooting/power cycling the server? The LP2000r doesn't have a little 'lock keyboard' button like some of the other NetServers do. Thanks.
2 REPLIES 2
Greg Carlson
Honored Contributor

Steve,

What are you looking for in terms of security? Anyone could toggle the keyboard lock button who managed to get in front of the machine. The Network Server Mode Option requires a password to boot to any device other than the hdd. The other passwords protect the bios itself. Once you boot to your NOS you rely on the NOS passwords. About the only thing you could do more would be to have no keyboard attached.

Ciao,
Greg
Lets Roll!
Steve Duft

Greg,
Thanks for the quick response. I'm looking for as much physical security as I can get on a NetServer in a co-lo datacenter. If you set a bios admin password and turn on 'network server mode' I believe two things happen. 1. If you try to boot from floppy or cd, you are prompted for a password. 2-If you boot from the HDD the three (num,caps,scroll) lock LED's on the keyboard blink until the bios admin password is typed. Until that password is typed the keyboard is locked. When the server is rebooted or power cycled the keyboard is relocked. I'm looking for the magic key combination to relock the keyboard without rebooting the server. I've looked in the manuals and searched the web/portal to no avail. Help!