Netservers
1748185 Members
4025 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Upgrading LH6000 Processors from 550Mhz - 700Mhz

Upgrading LH6000 Processors from 550Mhz - 700Mhz

Hi there,

I have a NT4 / LH6000 U3 Netserver, which I am about to upgrade from 2 x 550Mhz 1MB Cache to 6 x 700Mhz 1MB Cache.

I would like to check that the following procedure is correct;

1 - Upgrade BIOS / Firmware if required
2 - Power down and remove 2 x 550 Processors and VRM's
3 - Change Motherboard Jumper Switches over to the 700MHz settings. (As described in the LH6000 Installation Guide).
4 - Install new processors and VRM's, and power up.

As the NT4 multi kernal processor option is already installed, I can't think of anything else that is required.

Can anyone forsee any problems with this? Or has anyone tried this configration and got any problems?

3 REPLIES 3
Andrew Rutter
Honored Contributor

hi,

Sounds like you've got it covered to me.

A couple of things i would check though.

if its not a Hp proc upgrade I would make sure the processors are all the same stepping. The HP kits are all the same, or ones that have actually been tested and known to work together without problem.

Make sure youve got enough VRM's for the processors, and are all the same.

And maybe consider adding the 4th PSU if you dont have it installed. The servers come with 3 as standard and the 4th is redundancy. Worth having though as now the power requirement is going to be significantly higher. I would also consider upgrading the memory if you dont have much installed.

And as you have 2 proc already then the NT patch should already be installed.

Andy
Mario_66
Valued Contributor

NT4 Standard vs NT4 Enterprise.

So am I correct in presuming you need NT4 Enterprise to register 6 processors with the OS?

As I have followed the above instructions and the BIOS reports 6 processors but the OS can only find 4 processors.

I know that these are Windows limitations, but I wondered whether the HP hardware had 'worked around' this.

Any info any one???