108757 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: EX490 Recovery Disc

SOLVED
Go to solution
jvoytko
Visitor

EX490 Recovery Disc

Hello, i was given a mediasmart ex490 with WHS key on the bottom but he has said that he had wiped it completely to remove his personal data. Meaning no OS at all.

Does anybody know where i can download the iso for this NAS? Or where to contact HP to order a new disc pack for it?
107 REPLIES 107
TomHayesMP
Frequent Advisor

I have two CD's that came with my EX490. "Server Recovery Disk" and "PC Restore Disk". If you have no luck getting copies from HP I can make copies and send them to you.

Tom Hayes

jvoytko
Visitor

Thanks Tom. I have tried contacting HP but they just kept trying o transfer me in a gigantic circle without getting something accomplished.

Would you be so kind as to make the copies? I have the option of having you upload the copies to my server if you'd like via FTP?
dsaint316

Hi everyone,

Has anyone found a site where this software can be downloaded?

I can't find the software for my HP MediaSmart Server EX490.

Please help!

TomHayesMP
Frequent Advisor

Sure, I can upload them to your FTP if you like. I have two CD's. One is the recovery CD you run on your PC when you want to restore your PC from the server. The other is the recovery CD for the server itself. I had to use that because one of the hard drives in the server crashed.

It is NOT intuitive how to run the Server Recovery process. I did manage to get thru to HP and had a tech talk me through it. I wrote all the instructions down so I can send them along, too. Since you have not ever used the server, you would use the "Set to Factory Default" recovery since there is no data you need to save on the Server. You can email your FTP info to me at personal info erased so you won't have to post passwords on a BBS.

Regards,

Tom

VoicesFYC
Advisor

Mr.Hayes,

I Too have the Same Issue that Jvoytko has... i'm a Pc repair Tech and i acquired my EX490 from a auction

and it did not have any drives in it or discs.... so when i went searching the internet for recovery discs i was kinda shocked to find out you can't get them anymore, so while searching the internet i found your post here ... so i would like to ask if would be willing to upload a copy of your cd's as well...i do have Gmail and i also have Dropbox...and i would be willing to compensate you for your time , as i'm trying to set this server up in my home to handle all my tech files that i use for my workbench.

if it's not too much trouble , you can email me at

**personal info erased**

and I'll get together with you or i can give you my number or vice-versa and go from there.

would very much appreciate getting a copy of those discs so i can get my Ex490 up and running.

Thank You ,

Daniel j Watkins.

VoicesFYC.

jvoytko
Visitor

Sorry, got into a bit of trouble with the little lady or would have replied sooner. Thanks and I'll send you those details bright tomorrow morning, Tom. Thanks again.

Voices, if you don't mind I'll send you an email with ftp details as well so you may download as well.
VoicesFYC
Advisor

Hiya Guys!

sorry i havn't been here..my father passed away right after i talked to you tom so i been a little busy getting him all taken care of

ok...now ...the image file that i downloaded from ya tom didn't work... seems after putting the dvd image back together the server didn't like it...so now i'm gonna need to get a complete DVD image or ISO somehow... and after fighting with the server i finally got the startup routine right...lol  so here's what happen...i did the pin thingy and got the server to see the other pc...did the normal stuff untill the server started to read and install the dvd..then it gave me a unknown error when trying to install the IMAGE file... so maybe you know what that would be    all i know is i'm prolly gonna need to get a complete copy of the DVD ..as for the other cd's they worked fine

jvoy...feel free to jump in...and i havn't gotten any email from ya yep but feel free to do so..i could always use the help

( and a side note)   MR.Hayes is prolly the nicest most patient man i've ever talked to on the phone having to put up with me...lol.   thanks for putting up with me tom

so i'm still kinda stuck at square one sorta speak...so any help will be much appreciated

i have google drive and dropbox... but i don't think it will hold the DVD image as it's above 4gb.. so if anyone have a clue...email me please

**personal info erased**

Thanks GANG !

Daniel.

VoicesFYC
Advisor

NOTICE TO ALL.

to anyone with a EX490 Software Problem.

Tom & Jeff  are hands down the 2 best People to talk to with this issue..if they can't help ya ..your outta luck :)

thank you to both Tom and Jeff...My EX490 is now Up and Running...   both of these guys are my heroes :)

Thank You Tom & Jeff.

Daniel J Watkins

TomHayesMP
Frequent Advisor
Solution

To anyone with an HP 490 Server "I can't find the CD's problem".  I created disk images of the three CD's that come with the server. 

The three disks are:

Server Recovery Disk - for regenerating the Server OS

PC Restore Disk - for recovering PC from server. Boot from this disk in PC to start recovery

Software Installation Disk - for installing the backup Software on the PC

********New File Location******************

Apparently Dropbox decided too may people were accessing these files so they blocked my account. I've reposted the disk images on Google Drive at the link below. All the other instructions are the sme.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0BzRIeI12rXCDNXNlWFdzY29JYm8&usp=sharing

Use CD burning software that will create a CD from an ISO image and you can recreate the HP distribution disks. Scans of the CD labels are included so if you're a neatnick you can print the disk label for the disk.

You have to go through some gymnastics to re-load the OS in the server.  Here's how to do that.

Instructions for initializing drives in home server

Start PC in safe-mode with networking enabled
    Set PC IP address to 169.37.37.40
    Connect PC to server with straight-thru network cable bypassing any hubs and switches in line.
    Start server Recovery software on PC from "Server Recovery" CD.
    Reboot Server and go into recovery mode. (Use paper clip to press button on front panel of server within 4 seconds or so of powering it up.) 

The PC should find the server. You want to do the factory initialization routine.
The rest is menu driven and pretty straightforward.

Don't forget to set your PC IP address back to it's former setting when you reboot the PC upon completion.

I also included a PDF of the user's guide. This explains how to get the server into recovery mode. This requires the use of a paperclip.  As well as misc documentation I downloaded from MS regarding the Home Server software.

Once you reinitialize the server you have to reinstall the software on your PC that talks to the server. Use the Software Installation disk for that.

The third disk is for recovering your PC from the server after your PC burps. You restart your PC and boot from this CD and it will guide you through the recovery.

Guys, this note is the result of many calls to HP tech support to figure out how to reinitialize the server. HP does notr make it obvious when calling tech support that you want help with the Home Server. That's not one of the choices on the voice menu. If you need to talk to tech support and get stuck with the voice menu, the device you want help with is either "Media Vault" or "MediaSmart" server. That will get you to a tech who knows what he's doing.

Good Luck,

Tom Hayes   **personal info erased**