1748102 Members
5352 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: HP 3-in-1 NAS (EM537AA//ABG)

Christopher Barrie
Occasional Contributor

HP 3-in-1 NAS (EM537AA//ABG)

I have a nc6400 laptop connected to this NAS device but in over two years I have never seen the hard disk operation light glow to show that it is actually working. I have hard reset the NAS several times.
HP have never been able to help on the NAS with troubleshooting etc - in fact I wonder why they have taken my money!
Does any one have a similar story or a solution on how to find out whether or not the hard disk is working and, if it is, how to back up to it?
7 REPLIES 7
emiguru

Hello?
I was searching for a driver update and found your post. Are you still having this trouble? I've two 3-in-1 NAS docks and I have them both working as external disks.
Maybe I can help.
Christopher Barrie
Occasional Contributor

Thank you for your interest. My first problem was that my computer came with Vista Business 32 bit. The docvking station software alwasy seemed to be XP based. nThnus I mconcluded after spending lots of hoiurs trying to get sdomething going that it was an incompatibility issue. This meant that i had a 160Gb drive wasting...NOw I have upgraded my machine to Win 7 and I have yet to determine whether or not the drive is working.
What OS are you using?
emiguru

I have a mix of OS's and all are working. I have four laptops- all can attached to the NAS dock and see the drive. Two of the OS's are Win XP, two are Vista. I'll connect aWin7 device later today to confirm that it works, but I do not expect any trouble.

I think we should be able to get yours working with no problem.

This will be a lot like a debug Q&A session, which may take some time, so I hope you have some patience. Oh, I guess you have been waiting a long time to get this thing working, so you definitely have patience! :)

The first two steps are to a) find out if NAS is at least powered on and operational, and then b) configure the NAS to your preferred settings.

First let me get an idea of your present status- have you been able to get to the NAS login/setup page?

Verheijke

please help, I don't seem to be able to remount the hp3-in1 bas.

I have a usb disk attached to it but the HP nas will not mount his disk.

I tried evrything, restart with the button on the side pressed for 10 seconds, reboot. no change.

The nas GIU keeps telling me that there is not enough memory to mount.

please help..?

maremiru
Visitor

I too wanted to utilize the network USBs, accourding to http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/12075_na/12075_na.html#Technical Specifications 
but the external HD became "read only" and could not be mounted. 

In other words:

- I want to use thsi feature "Connect an external hard drive to the other network USB port and use it as a "legacy drive" in Windows or add the hard drive capacity to the 160-GB docking station network drive for more shared disk space."

- eventually use "Broadcom BCM4781 NASoC chip provides Network Attached Storage capabilities" also for external HD. I doubt if this will work, but if, let me hear, please, also if you know how to use HP Backup and Recovery Manager SW for the external HD. 

- I succeeded but do not use the feature "Connect a USB printer to one of the two network USB ports on the HP 3-in-1 NAS Docking Station and use the docking station as a network print server", as I have connected the network printer to the HUB which is a DSL modem with HUB abilities,  in this case.

So, essentially this is about extending the NAS HD space as file server, not as backup medium.

On the contrary, I could be interested to hear about a solution to "reverse" or "alter" the backup solution, so that the the internal HD as well as one of the external are backuped to another destination, either HD on second "networking USB" of this docking station or elsewhere.

Thanks, and YES, HP should have given MUCH more support or prposals for USE, as most curretn supporties do not know this device any more. 

go for oneopenspace.net or oneopenspace.org
dlpinsd
Visitor

Doesn't look like this gets viewed very often, but here goes anyway.

Just got one of these NAS docking stations.  Have tried all I can to get into the setup screen --- pwr off / hold backup btn 10 secs while powering on again ................. nothing (hard drive LED lights for about 7 seconds while this is happening, then goes off and stays off).

Tried HTTP://hpnas ................. nothing

My switch HAS assigned a private IP address to the thing ..........

But can't find any way to set it up, and HP documentation seems to be more-or-less Soviet style uselessness stuff, as usual.

Anyone with any ideas?

Claudio_Galli

Hello.

Same problem for me.

Do You discover how to reset and/or reassign IP to these piece of iron ?

Thank You

Claudio

datalink@tin.it

Italy