1752723 Members
6172 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

NAS 1000s + Tape Library

CA1081541
Occasional Contributor

NAS 1000s + Tape Library

I want to hook up a SCSI tape library (HP MSL6030) directly to the HP NAS 1000s - Has anyone ever done this? Do I require any additional SCSI cards?
3 REPLIES 3
CA1028844
Trusted Contributor

Re: NAS 1000s + Tape Library

Just FYI, the only tape drives supported on the 1000s are listed in the QuickSpecs, here:

http://h18006.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/11684_na/11684_na.html

in the section labeled "Tape Drives". These are the only tape drives qualified with this server, and thus are the only ones supported.

If you try anything on this list, and get into trouble, HP support will not help you.

Also, if you crack open the server to install a SCSI card (or any card, for that matter), you will be voiding your warranty.

This server was intended to be used in low-end deployments, and was designed to be a sealed solution and low-touch for administration and deployment.

If you need or want more capabilities than this (i.e. hooking up tape libraries, ability to add additional PCI cards to expand functionality, etc.), then you really need to be considering the higher-end products (like the B2000 v2 or 2000S).
CA1081541
Occasional Contributor

kevin,
i understand the certified and supported statements per HP. I am curious if the physical connection exist to plug the MSL6030 library into the NAS 1000s? I DO NOT want to have to open the NAS 1000s. The spec sheet on the 1000s says 'embedded SCSI'. Is this the only necessary physical connection for a MSL6030?

Also, I looked at the spec sheet on the NAS 2000s and it does not show the MSL6030 either.

thanks a TON for your help and feedback.
CA1028844
Trusted Contributor

I'm not sure what connection is required for an MSL6030. However, looking through the list of EBS supported SCSI HBAs, it looks like all that is needed is an LVD SCSI card.

If that is the case, then the 1000S should physically plug up to the MSL6030. Now whether the 1000S's onboard SCSI controller actually communicates and works with the library, and whether the backup software you have works with this setup, are entirely different questions. (And this is where you are most likely to get into trouble with things not working properly, or not working at all, etc. Since this configuration will not be supported, you might be up a creek if you plug everything up and it doesn't work well, or even at all.)

With regard to the QuickSpec sheets, the 1000S is the *only* model you need to look at the QuickSpecs for with regard to supported backup. The B2000/2000s and higher products are tested by the EBS group, and are included in its compatability matrix.

Since those products allow you to insert different SCSI cards, and have different connections, there are a *lot* more possible -- and supported -- options for those servers.