5928 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: NAS9000s and nfs query

Jonathan Hunt
Contributor

NAS9000s and nfs query

Hi
we are running clustered NAS9000s that serve files to both windows and unix clients.
Unfortunately for some time now the nfs clustered resources such as home directories are unable to fail over.
Node A is fine but Node B cannot support them. Other resources such as physical disks, IP numbers and windows shares fail over ok.
I have tried to create a clustered nfs share from scratch on node B and I get the following error

nfsshex (in title bar)

"an error occurred attempting to set properties. The system cannot open the file. Error ID4"

the path to the directory I want to share exists though.

I thought about deinstalling sfu on this node and reinstalling. Is this likely to be a problem?

Secondly when I go to the add/remove programs control panel there is no sfu to remove. I am assuming this is because the nas9000 is an appliance. So can I simply reinstall sfu 3.5 over the top of the existing sfu?

Thanks in advance
regards
Jon
3 REPLIES 3
Jon Paul
Trusted Contributor

Hi Jon,
Services For Nfs (SFN 3.0) is installed with the NAS Appliance Kit. There is a utility available from HP support to un-install the SFN so that SFU can be installed. Be prepared to re-build your user mappings and other settings for SFU. Do not install SFU 3.5 until the SFN has been removed. (you should be able to see a service running SFN) It's possible that this service is not behaving properly. Can you create a non-clustered NFS share on Node B?
Anyway, upgrading to SFU 3.5 is a good thing to do.
Good Luck,
JP
Jonathan Hunt
Contributor

Thanks for this Jon Paul

I have now tried to create a non-clustered nfs share on node B in c:\test and this fails with and "Invalid path" error. Therefore nfs is well and truly broken on this node.

In the list of installed programs i can see a "Server Appliance Kit", is this what you are referring to?
I can find no trace of any utility on the HP site that will remove the sfn.

I can only see the "Server for NFS" Service that looks a likely candidate in the service list.

under processes

node A ,the working one, has nfssvc running and MSNFS

whereas node B has only nfssvc

We are looking to upgrade the service this Easter to fix some glitches like the above. We aim to put SR5.6 on.
Does anyone know if this will update sfu to 3.5??

many thanks in advance for your help/
Hi Jon,
Jon Paul
Trusted Contributor

Hi Jon,

SR5.6 will not install SFU 3.5. You must download SFU 3.5 from Microsoft.
Also, you must contact support to get the utility to remove Services For Nfs. It is not available as a download.
DO NOT UNINSTALL the Server Appliance Kit. This will uninstall much more than just the SFN.

Hope this helps,
JP