108839 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Nas 1200s with NFS Service

SOLVED
Go to solution
jarkko_1

Nas 1200s with NFS Service

Hello,

I have a big problem with HP NAS 1200s 1TB. The server is used as a file server in our company, it has Windows 2003 Storage Server operating system. I am planning to use NFS on that server. But soon as I start the Server for NFS service the server starts acting abnormaly. When I copy big files (about 500MB) from the file server, then about one minute server hangs totally. Sometimes only solution is to reboot server or disconnect from network.
I say again, that I am not using NFS, I just start the service, and problems arrive.
Has anyone come across with the same kind of problem, or has anyone solution for that?

Many Thanks,
Jarkko
4 REPLIES 4
Monty Phillips
Trusted Contributor
Solution

Re: Nas 1200s with NFS Service

Hi Jarkko,

There is a hotfix available that should address your problem. You should install hotfix 838238 (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;838238). This hotfix, 838238, includes the fixes from KB835152 (this is most likely the problem you are seeing where you are not using NFS yet, but just starting the service), KB828214, KB828871, and KB828878. As you can see, this behavior may occur regardless of whether the system has exported any network file system (NFS) shares.

I would also suggest getting the SR2 release for the 1200s. It has this hotfix and several others. You can order it at http://software.hp.com/portal/swdepot/displayProductsList.do?category=NAS. It's free and provides an easy way to reinstall hotfixes and patches if needed.

Finally, if after installing these hotfixes you are using NFS and are experiencing very slow performance, I would suggest you use the mount options mount -t nfs -o tcp,rsize=32768,wsize=32768 host:/share /mount-point

I have seen on OpenBDS and RH 7.x systems, that using these mount options greatly increases NFS performance.

- Monty
jarkko_1

Thanks Monty,

I ordered SR2 release for the 1200s and when I have installed it I'll let You know how this worked.

Jarkko
Monty Phillips
Trusted Contributor

Jarkko,

Sounds good. I look forward to hearing how it goes.

- Monty
jarkko_1

Thanks Monty,

I installed SR2 on my server and ordered patch 838238 from Microsoft. Now it is working fine. But the patch 838238 is not included in SR2.

Jarkko