1751805 Members
5168 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Windows 2003 UPdate on a NAS B3000

Del_3
Trusted Contributor

Windows 2003 UPdate on a NAS B3000

Anyone done this? If so was it a success and how long did it take? Gotchas?

Thanks in advance!
3 REPLIES 3
CA1028844
Trusted Contributor

I know that several customers have successfully done the upgrade on the B3000 and E7000 products. But I cannot give out any information about them, or who they are, etc. (they aren't "reference accounts", and haven't given us permission to reference them, signed the legal paperwork, etc.).

Regarding your questions in another post:

>what is the WSS upgrade and what
>considerations might be required when
>updating from Windows 2000 to Windows 2003?

The WSS upgrade is a kit containing extensive documentation and the new WSS image. The upgrade documentation spells out how to perform the upgrade, step-by-step, in great detail. It also goes over some planning issues.

The upgrade is a *QuickRestore*, meaning that your current settings and OS will be lost. However, the upgrade document goes into great detail about what settings to capture, how to gather this information, etc., and walks you through capturing all this prior to performing the QuickRestore to upgrade the image.

So this is *not* an in-place upgrade, or a zero downtime upgrade. It requires downtime to capture existing configuration, then QuickRestore the new WSS image, then re-apply your old settings.

You will also (probably) need Server 2003 versions of any software you are currently running -- i.e. anti-virus, backup, etc. Although there are some versions of such software that run on both OSes, you would be better served by having a version that is fully compatible with Server 2003 (and thus, all the new features -- such as VSS, etc.).

There are various changes and features between the different OSes. If you could tell me a little more about what your areas of concern are, or what you're looking for, I could provide the proper information and level of detail.
Del_3
Trusted Contributor

Thanks Kevin. Your response answered most of my questions.

How long does the actual quick restore take when the CD is started?

CA1028844
Trusted Contributor

If I remember correctly, it takes about 45 - 50 minutes to lay down the image. Then it takes some additional time (10 minutes? 15 minutes?) for minisetup to complete.

Then you have to reapply your settings, shares, etc.