Network Management / (OpenView-NNM) Practitioners Forum
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Change Node Names

Change Node Names

Hello,

our client have change his name-convention, so we must change all the node names. Is there a possibility to edit the /etc/hosts-file and say NNM to use the new name without rediscover/corrupting the DB?

Thanx
Jens
5 REPLIES
Honored Contributor Honored Contributor

Re: Change Node Names

If changing the hostname in NNM:
ovstop
rm $OV_DB/openview/ovwdb/ovserver /var/opt/OV/share/databases/openview/ovwdb/ovserver

cd $OV_CONF /etc/opt/OV/share/conf
edit ovw.auth, ovwdb.auth and ovspmd.auth so that all of the files have the correct hostname.

/etc/opt/OV/share/conf/ovspmd.auth
/etc/opt/OV/share/conf/ovwdb.auth
/etc/opt/OV/share/conf/ovw.auth

xnmsnmpconf -clearC
ovstart

If just changing the ip address:

ovstop
rm $OV_DB/openview/ovwdb/ovserver (this is just a precaution and will hurt nothing because it is recreated)
xnmsnmpconf -clearC

Is this just for managed nodes?

Berlene

http://www.mindspring.com/~bkherren/dobes/index.htm
Respected Contributor Respected Contributor

Jens,

The answer is yes. If you simply put the new names in the /etc/hosts file, NNM will automatically pick this up and change the label on the maps the next time is does a configuration poll on the nodes. You can force this to happen quicker by doing a demand poll on the nodes manually. Only one problem I can foresee. If you are using distributed management and you change the names of the collection stations, this may cause some problems.

Rich

Hi Berlene, hi Rich,

they want to change only the managed nodes names, so I mustn't change anything in the auth-files.

I have change one node in the etc/hosts-file and do a demand poll. But the label in the Map is so as before. In the Alarm Browser I see the message that the Hostname for the node was changed. I can see the new hostname also in the Object Properties as the section name, but not in the Map.

Any ideas?

Jens

Hi,

I think that it was my fault, that NNM doesn't change the labels in the Map, because I run "ipmap -u". Is this a possibility?

Jens
Highlighted
Respected Contributor Respected Contributor

Jens,

You're right. The -u option will prevent the labels from being updated. If you run ipmap without this option, the labels should change.

Rich