New Discussion

Re: Advanced Server 7.3A on OpenVMS 7.3 with DCs upgraded to Window server 2008

SOLVED
Go to solution
Paul Nunez
Respected Contributor

HI,

The inability to use the ADMIN utility to logon a domain with W2K8 R2 domain controllers

remains and will not be "fixed".   ADMIN can still be used to manage the local Advanced

Server system by logging onto the Advanced Server rather than the domain, using the

syntax:

$ admin logon /domain=\\<Advanced-Server-name>

The inclusion of the double-backslashes preceding the name of the server is required

when logging onto a Member server.

But that assumes the system is running the most recent version of Advanced Server - v7.3B ECO1.

7.3A versions are likely to have other issues.   7.3B ECO1 is available from the OpenVMS patch

management/download site on the HP Support Center portal.

HTH,

Paul

Hoff
Honored Contributor

Microsoft has largely retired the old and insecure domain controller authentication system, as part of its migration to Microsoft Active Directory (AD) and its related authentication implementation.

And HP has largely retired Advanced Server; the path forward for OpenVMS users here is the CIFS/Samba package.

Some vendors have implemented a "magic triangle" configuration with Open Directory servers and Microsoft Active Directory providing services for their respective platforms and coordinating access across the servers and clients, but AFAIK HP has not implemented that with OpenVMS. 

Some versions of Samba can also authenticate with AD (see the Samba wiki for details), though I haven't checked any Samba/CIFS version against this.  (We use Open Directory and don't run a Windows AD here, so we don't have an AD configuration to test CIFS/Samba with.)  As for the version involved, the CIFS/Samba V1.2 ECO1 kit is reportedly based on Samba  3.0.28a.

The closest you can get with OpenVMS and distributed authentication here is likely the LDAP login extensions and whatever AD pieces are in CIFS/Samba.  (These are obviously fairly limited and somewhat complex to establish, and the VMS distributed authentication provide only passwords and password-related authentcation features.  VMS didn't migrate the other login-related attributes and settings out into the LDAP directory.  But that's not specific to nor does it provide authentication for PATHWORKS nor Advanced Server.)

And to make the future and plans for this whole configuration somewhat more complex, the Samba folks adopted GPLv3 at their version 3.2.  I don't know if HP has made any statements around their plans for newer versions of CIFS on OpenVMS.  HP may decide to remain on an earlier (3.0.x) version, for that matter.

Caudette
Occasional Advisor

Hey all,

Sorry for dragging up this old thread however its the only one I could find on this issue.

We are attempting to demote our last remaining 2003 DC's to bring the domain to 2008. We have Pathworks 7.3B installed.

I have ensured all 2008 DC's have the following policy enabled: "Computer Configuration->Administrative Templates->System->Netlogon-> Allow cryptography algorithms compatible with Windows NT 4.0".

After logging into the Pathworks and running the "sh user" command I receive the following error:

%PWRK-E-ERRGETSRV, error getting server information for "SVOTTDC002"

-LM-E-ERROR_NOT_SUPPO, this request is not supported by the network.

What else should I be looking at?