1752579 Members
3420 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: CIFS client alternatives/replacement

feeble
Valued Contributor

CIFS client alternatives/replacement

Some of you may know this. HP is going to stop supporting HP CIFS Server/Client coming July 2015. So only a few months away. Our company uses the CIFS client to mount windows shares to share data between UNIX and Windows. With no support, it will be hard to continue to use this product. I am curious if anyone uses another product, or has any options. I am aware that you can run NFS on Windows server. But that option may not be recieved well. So if you have any other ideas, I would love to hear them. I will say that I need a supported solution. Thanks.

2 REPLIES 2
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

Windows and Unix files are not very compatible. What kinds of files are you sharing? Are they binary or text? Do the files get updated on both sides or are they simply moved to the shared directory for processing? NFS is certainly easier to use than CIFS. Do you a complex authentication requirement like LDAP? Why would NFS be a problem?

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
feeble
Valued Contributor

Most files are text. They are files created by Oracle jobs. Some are text, others are in an excel format, etc. We also have other projects where people put files on a windows share, which is then imported to other Oracle software. We have never had any issues with this setup.

NFS is not the problem. It's the ease of making files accessible to users. All our users use windows. Plus with all the data that is shared between different applications, it's not easy to implement and all NFS solution. 

In the end, I do not understand why HP is dropping support. There is still support for samba on Linux. And there have to be plenty of use cases for windows and UNIX operability.