Operating System - HP-UX
1752299 Members
5396 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Chance to release stale nfs mount from non-existent nfs server without rebooting client?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Ralph Grothe
Honored Contributor

Chance to release stale nfs mount from non-existent nfs server without rebooting client?

Hi, I'm dispairing.

The problem is as written in the subject line.

The nfs server isn't alive anymore:

ping -t 10 $(grep nfs /etc/mnttab|cut -d: -f1) -n 1
PING 10.10.110.133: 64 byte packets

----10.10.110.133 PING Statistics----
1 packets transmitted, 0 packets received, 100% packet loss

Since the nfs mount is stale no wonder that all nfs requests hang (e.g. bdf), and an umount attempt fails.

umount $(awk '$3=="nfs"{print $2}' /etc/mnttab)
nfs umount: nfs_unmount: /tmp/bwdiwo: is busy

Ok, Itried to stop the nfs client, but since it neither can release the stale mount it shrewedly reappears.

/sbin/init.d/nfs.client stop
killing rpc.lockd
killing rpc.statd
killing nfsd
killing rpc.mountd
starting NFS SERVER networking

starting up the rpcbind daemon
rpcbind already started, using pid: 1249
starting up the mount daemon
/usr/sbin/rpc.mountd
starting up the NFS daemons
/usr/sbin/nfsd 4
starting up the Status Monitor daemon
/usr/sbin/rpc.statd
starting up the Lock Manager daemon
/usr/sbin/rpc.lockd
umountall: umount : has failed.
umountall: diagnostics from umount
nfs umount: nfs_unmount: /tmp/bwdiwo: is busy

Needless to mention that games like such also fail.

fuser -ck $(awk '$3=="nfs"{print $2}' /etc/mnttab)

or
perl -i.stale -ne 'print unless /nfs/' /etc/mnttab && rmdir /tmp/bwdiwo

Is there any hope to get rid of this nfs mount without rebooting the damned host?
Madness, thy name is system administration
10 REPLIES 10
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor
Solution

Re: Chance to release stale nfs mount from non-existent nfs server without rebooting client?

Ralph,

It's been my sad experience that the only way to get rid of the stale mounts is to reboot. Sorry!

Pete

Pete
Ramkumar Devanathan
Honored Contributor

Re: Chance to release stale nfs mount from non-existent nfs server without rebooting client?

Ravi_8
Honored Contributor

Hi,

i too had expereinced stale nfs, ultimately rebooting the m/c is the solution we found
never give up
Stefan Farrelly
Honored Contributor

The only thing ive found which helps is to remove /etc/mnttab. This allows you to survive for some time without errors, but in time you /etc/mnttab gets recreated and you will need to remove it again.

Only a reboot will fix it properly, sorry.
Im from Palmerston North, New Zealand, but somehow ended up in London...
Olivier ROBERT
Frequent Advisor

Hi Ralph,

Eventually, removing NFS mount points as the NFS server is dead has been a problem for many of us I guess, not only on HP-UX systems, and I wonder why this has never been adressed. Is there any reason for that? For example, I guess we all would appreciate having the ability to remount soft and/or intr if necessary, and then remove the attached processes and the mount point. Wouldn't that be a good idea?

Regards,

Olivier
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

I seem to recall that, at one time, there was a patch to the umount command that was supposed to allow you to force the unmount but, if that's true, I don't know what ever happened to it because such an option doesn't seem to exist now.

Any HP'ers out there that can offer any insight?

Pete

Pete
Steven E. Protter
Exalted Contributor

First I umount the fs which almost never works on the client.

Then I fuser -cuk /mount_point ...

Then I shut down the nfs client and nfs core, immediately restarting.

Then I wake up and boot the box, commenting out anything in /etc/fstab that will generate errors.

SEP
Steven E Protter
Owner of ISN Corporation
http://isnamerica.com
http://hpuxconsulting.com
Sponsor: http://hpux.ws
Twitter: http://twitter.com/hpuxlinux
Founder http://newdatacloud.com
Paul Sperry
Honored Contributor

reboot :(
Olivier ROBERT
Frequent Advisor

Awww... considering all replies so far, this looks like a lost cause!

Pete, if such an option of umount ever existed, I suppose it was removed because its implementation was not compliant with some standard. But really, I would appreciate hearing of an HP representative on that subject...

Regards,

Olivier