Operating System - HP-UX
1745800 Members
3242 Online
108722 Solutions
New Discussion

HPUX 11.23 shows nfs mounted filesytems as 0 total and 0 allocated and 0 free.

Matthew Murdock
Valued Contributor

HPUX 11.23 shows nfs mounted filesytems as 0 total and 0 allocated and 0 free.

#df -k /vol/apps

/vol/apps              (NFS-Server:/export/home/system/rel/apps) :        0 total allocated Kb
                                                         0 free allocated Kb
                                                         0 used allocated Kb
                                                        74 % allocation used

/vol is a autofs nfs filesytem. the NFS-Server is a solaris 10 server.

The same problem exists if I add the /vol mount point to /etc/fstab on the client.

The Solaris 10 side is a zfs pool of 1.8TB, and the shared mount point is 488gb free (which is the 74% allocation Used in the output).

6 REPLIES 6
Dave Olker
HPE Pro

Re: HPUX 11.23 shows nfs mounted filesytems as 0 total and 0 allocated and 0 free.

Without seeing any data my guess is the 1.8TB filesystem size may be overloading a variable in the 11.23 NFS client stack.  However, we did support VxFS filesystems as large as 40TB, so that may not be the case.  The 11.23 NFS code is very old and based on a very old implementation of NFS. 

Are you using NFS protocol 2 or 3?  I'd definitely use version 3 if you're not already.  I also recommend making sure the latest NFS patch is installed, which is PHNE_43704. 

If that doesn't change the client's behavior I would take a network trace of the df and bdf command so we can see exactly what the NFS server is sending back to the client in the reply.

I work for HPE

[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
Matthew Murdock
Valued Contributor

Re: HPUX 11.23 shows nfs mounted filesytems as 0 total and 0 allocated and 0 free.

NFS Vers 3 (both client and Server).

# bdf /vol/apps
Filesystem          kbytes    used   avail %used Mounted on
NFS-Server:/export/home/zepher/rel/apps
                   1871040027 1400648629 470391397   75% /vol/apps

the problem is during oracle 11gr2 client installation to the nfs mount point. I am under the guess, that the oracle installer is calling "df" instead of "bdf". Will try the patch and update.

Dave Olker
HPE Pro

Since the problem is localized to the df command, be sure to install the latest df patch PHCO_40348 and I'd also install the latest libc patch PHCO_42273 incase df is failing due to a library call. 

I work for HPE

[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
Matthew Murdock
Valued Contributor

Concerns about Kernel patch warnings. During patch download of PHCO_40348 it adds PHKL_31500 as a pre-requisite. No problem, I select and down the pre-requisites as well in the bundle. During swinstall, it errors out stating that PHKL_31151 must be installed before 31500. PHKL_31151 was suppose to be installed with the Sept.2004 Patch Bundle which is on the system. Do I download and install PHKL_31151 by itself? Does my system have a problem?

HPUX11i-OE                    B.11.23        HP-UX Foundation Operating Environment Component

#swlist | grep Bundle

BUNDLE                        B.2015.07.17   Patch Bundle    <== Did not install any Kernel file sets

BUNDLE11i                     B.11.23.0409.3 Required Patch Bundle for HP-UX 11i v2 (B.11.23), September 2004

Matthew Murdock
Valued Contributor

Ok, updated a second 11.23 box that has no issues with the kernel with the Latest Oct.2010 Patch set has been installed and the NFS and DF patches are installed to no avail. What trace utility on HPUX? I know on Solaris they have Truss.

Dave Olker
HPE Pro

tusc

http://hpux.connect.org.uk/hppd/hpux/Sysadmin/tusc-8.1/

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo