Operating System - HP-UX
1752686 Members
5485 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: How to bind NFS network traffic on a particular segment.

SOLVED
Go to solution
Hanry Zhou
Super Advisor

How to bind NFS network traffic on a particular segment.

on a hpux 11iv2 environment, how do I bind NFS traffic in a network segment on a HPUX client?

Because we don't want to the traffic to interfere the primary segment. Thanks a lot for your ideas.

none
8 REPLIES 8
Dave Olker
HPE Pro

Presumably you have multiple network interfaces on both your NFS client and server.  If that's the case, then mount the NFS filesystem using the IP address on the NFS server that corresponds to the desired network interface on the client.  

For example, my NFS client has two network interfaces:

My NFS server has two network interfaces:

I want my NFS traffic to use the 192 network so the 15 network is not disturbed.  I would mount the filesystem as:

# mount 192.1.1.2:/vol /nfs_mount  

That way the NFS traffic would be forced to use the 192 subnet to get to the server.

Regards,

Dave

I work for HPE

[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
Hanry Zhou
Super Advisor

Thank you for your input!

I did not make myself clear.

Actually, we only have one NIC card on NFS server, and two cards on NFS client. they are all in different segments.

for instance, on the server 15.1.1.1, on the client, I have 192.1.1.1 and 20.1.1.1 (primary), I wanted to have NFS traffic bond on 192 segment. Could I achieve that?

none
Dave Olker
HPE Pro

Are you able to route packets from the 192 interface on the client to the 15 interface on the server? Are these subnets connected somehow?
I work for HPE

[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
Hanry Zhou
Super Advisor

yes, 15 segment can be routed to 192 segment on NFS client, but I don't know how to restric NFS traffic on 192 segment. Currently, by default, NFS traffic is to 20 segment (primary) which is not what I would like to.

Thanks!

none
Dave Olker
HPE Pro

You could try creating a virtual IP interface on your NFS client using a 15 subnet address and binding it to your 192. interface. For example, if your 192 interface is lan0 you could do something like:

# ifconfig lan0:1 15.1.1.2

That would create a 15 subnet virtual IP address on your lan0 interface. Then when you send packets to the server's IP address the routing protocol should see that you have a 15 address on a local interface and use it to send/receive packets. If that doesn't work you're likely looking at adding new routing table entries to explicitly determine the routes on the client and server.

Dave
I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo
Hanry Zhou
Super Advisor

That sounds a good idea, I will certainly try that out late.

What tool, or how would you know if NFS traffic is really happening on 192 segment?

none
Dave Olker
HPE Pro
Solution

You can use "netstat -in" to monitor the inbound and outbound packet rates of all of your interfaces.

Dave
I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo
Hanry Zhou
Super Advisor

Thank you very much, Dave, you completed my questions.

none