1753518 Members
5248 Online
108795 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: How to change netowrk settings on an HP UX system

Just Guessing
Occasional Advisor

How to change netowrk settings on an HP UX system

I installed a new domain controller a few weeks ago and would like to check the network settings on my HP UX system.  I am assuming this can be done via the telnet prompt.  I'm looking to see:

IP address

Subnet Mask

Gateway

DNS

Thanks!

2 REPLIES 2
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

DNS is controlled by the /etc/resolv.conf file.  This is just a text file, so you can edit it with 'vi' or view it via cat  or more.

You can view your network settings via:

# netstat -in

If you need more information you can use 'ifconfig <lan#>' where lan# is the name you see in the 'netstat -in' output.

You can look at your route settings via:

# netstat -rn

To edit the network settings so they are permanently changed you edit the /etc/rc.config.d/netconf file.  

If you change that file the settings will only take effect if you stop/restart networking (/sbin/init.d/net stop ; /sbin/init.d/net start) or reboot the system.

>> If you change that file the settings will only take effect if you stop/restart networking (/sbin/init.d/net stop ; /sbin/init.d/net start) or reboot the system.

And don't run "/sbin/init.d/net stop" on its own if you are logged into the system via one of the systems normal network cards - make sure you have logged in through the console or Management Processor/iLO when running that command...

I am an HPE Employee
Accept or Kudo