4282 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Issue with network configuration

fergav
Occasional Visitor

Issue with network configuration

Hi,

I have a server HPUX (HP-UX hpux01 B.11.31 U ia64) whit a BD on Informix (IBM Informix Dynamic Server Version 11.70.FC3GE). Four months ago I've configured a default gateway on the server. Since then, when the gateway is offline, the server appear disconnect of the network and we can't access the BD. 

Later, I've deleted the default gateway and restore the configuration. Now the network adapter have just a IP address and a mask, but still have troubles: when the gateway (a Fortigate appliance) is offline, the server appear disconnected.

In the online.log of Informix appear a log that says "listener-thread: err = -25582: oserr = 0: errstr = : Network connection is broken."

Do you have any idea that helps?
Thanks in advance.

5 REPLIES 5
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

Re: Issue with network configuration

>>when the gateway (a Fortigate appliance) is offline,

Why is your gateway going offline?  If that happens regularly then I would look to solve that problem first.  

Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

As Patrick said, if your gateway is going offline, that is catastrophic to the server. No one will ever be able to access the server on that subnet unless they are also on the same subnet.

Now when you repair the defective gateway, your HP-UX server may stay offline to an annoying default option that permanently stops using a gateway that goes offline. All your HP-UX servers should be repaired in this way:

1. Edit the file /etc/rc.config.d/nddconf

2. Add these lines:

## DEAD GATEWAY DETECT (disable)
TRANSPORT_NAME[0]=ip
NDD_NAME[0]=ip_ire_gw_probe
NDD_VALUE[0]=0

(use a different array reference if [0] is already in use)

3. Change the value in the running kernel with: ndd -c

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
fergav
Occasional Visitor

Hi everyone, thanks for help...

Patrick: Thats true. That appliance have a disk issue; we're working in that. However, this problem it's happening since we set the gateway in the HPUX Server. I mean, before that setting we did not have problems.

Bill: I'll test this configuration today and tomorrow I'll tell you if work for me.

Thanks again!
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

>> However, this problem it's happening since we set the gateway in the HPUX Server. I mean, before that setting we did not have problems.

The change I gave is to prevent the gateway from shutting down networking on HP-UX. The gateway is causing the problem but the change will keep HP-UX retrying the broken gateway. While the gateway is down, there won't be any communication with HP-UX, but with the change, once the gateway is working, HP-UX will communicate again.

The real issue is the gateway. Have your network administrator diagnose the gateway.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
fergav
Occasional Visitor

Well... I found the problem.

The gateway wasn't the problem. I said you yesterday that before, when the server had not gateway configured, this issue don't happenning. 

The problem was the DNS configuration. You see, when Informix (the DBMS) ask for the name of the server can use /ets/hosts or DNS. The DBMS is configured to connect with a server that have the name server01. When it ask to DNS server, this response with server01.domain.com and the DBMS don't recognize that name, just server01

Now, the strange about this is that I've removed the DNS (together with gateway) from SAM. And the DNS server was still configured in /etc/resolv.conf. After I've removed the DNS from that file and restart the DBMS (onmode -ky and then oninit) all works without problem.

Thanks again for your help.

Regards