108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Multiple NIC's with DECnet and TCPIP

SOLVED
Go to solution
Neil Roberts
Occasional Advisor

Multiple NIC's with DECnet and TCPIP

I've just read the posting about multiple NIC's and TCPIP (limited to 2), and it caused some thoughts. Is there any limit on NIC's with DECnet?
I've taken on a system with 3 NIC's, running both TCPIP and DECnet (Phase IV). We are seeing system hangs with DECnet windows, but not with TCPIP windows, which suggests that DECnet isn't happy somewhere along the line.
7 REPLIES 7
Antoniov.
Honored Contributor

Hello,
post result of command NCP SHOW KN LINE and NCP SHOW KN CIRC
I can help you, perhaps
Antonio Maria Vigliotti
Art Wiens
Respected Contributor

In addition to that, how about the output from:

NCP> SHOW KNOWN NODE COUNT

Might give a few clues as well.

Art
Neil Roberts
Occasional Advisor

Hi Gents,

Many thanks for the advice - no errors showing on the SHO KNO NOD COUNT. However what I did find was that by doing a SHO KNO CIRC I got only 1 network card showing, whereas by doing a LIST KNO CIRC I got all three network cards showing. Can I bring these other network card live be doing a SET STATE command - or do I need to do something in NETCONFIG as well?

Thanks in advance

Neil

Antoniov.
Honored Contributor

If you see three card wih LIST KN CIRC and only one using SH KN CIRC means thera are really 3 card but who have some problem.
You have to known what problem inhibit copy data from permanet database (you see using LIST KN CIRC) into volatile database (you see using SH KN CIRC). I believe there is a hardware problem because disable line and/or circuit show it as disabled when you type SH KN LINE.
If you can, shutdown Decnet as following:
NCP>
SET KN LINE STATE OFF
SET KN CIRC STATE OFF
SET EXEC STATE SHUT
EXIT
Warning: this command disable access form other host using decnet; TCP/IP and pathwork continue working.
Now you can startup Decnet (better from console) and watch all messages: some message say you the problem.
NETCONFIG is last solution.
Try using @SYS$UPDATE:NETCONFIG_UPDATE.

HTH :)
Antoniov
Antonio Maria Vigliotti
Pim van Velzen
Advisor
Solution

If all the NIC's are connected to the same LAN-cable/Bridge-domain, then only one DECnet Phase IV circuit can/will become active.
This one uses the Phase IV address (AA-00-04-00-xx-yy)as it's MAC-address on the LAN.
The others NIC's/circuits would have to use the same address on the LAN and that is not allowed.

I assume that during startup of DECnet, messages were logged, probably something like
Invalid Media Address?

With DECnet-Plus (Phase V), you can have multiple circuits active, of which only
one uses the Phase IV compatible address.
Neil Roberts
Occasional Advisor

Hi all,

I think Pim has answered my question. I only get to use a single card with DECnet phase IV - and need to move to Phase V if I want to use more network cards on the same LAN.

I haven't looked for - and hence haven't seen the error messages mentioned, but this would explain a great deal.

Many thanks for all your assistance with this issue.

Neil
Antoniov.
Honored Contributor

Assignment Points Will Be Appreciate
Antonio Maria Vigliotti