New Discussion

Re: NFS client hung

SOLVED
Go to solution
TeresaY
Advisor

NFS client Zombie Connection

Hi All,

I have a HPUX 11.11 workstation working as a nfs client. The nfs server is a Windows 2003 server.

After the nfs server is restarted, nfs client couldn't automout the Windows share.

I did:

/sbin/init.d/nfs.client stop

/sbin/init.d/nfs.server stop

/sbin/init.d/nfs.core stop

(nfs.client stop failed)

When I start nfs.server, it hangs at starting rpc.lockd.

"netstat -a"  shows:

tcp   0  0 hpux_nfs_client.865 windows_nfs_server.nfsd     ESTABLISHED

while on nfs server there is no such connection existed.

I couldn't do umount, shows "mount point is busy, umount return error 1"

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Teresa

P.S. This thread has been moved from HP-UX > System Administration to HP-UX > networking - HP Forums Moderator

10 REPLIES 10
TeresaY
Advisor

Re: NFS client Zombie Connection

I also tried to kill all the process that use on the mount point. However, that was unsuccessful. The command "fuser -ku mount_point_path" hung.

Thanks,

Teresa

Dave Olker
HPE Pro
Solution

Hi Teresa,

There are very few options at 11.11 when an NFS mount is blocked in the kernel and considered "busy".  At 11i v3 (11.31) we have the forcible unmount option where you might be able to avoid a reboot in the event of a hung mount point.  On an 11.11 system, if you cannot cleanly terminate the biods and rpc daemons you're likely facing a reboot.

I wrote a technical paper called "forcibly unmounting NFS filesystems" back in August 2003 that used to be available on the docs.hp.com site but it looks to have been removed for some reason.  It described ways to potentially resolve this issue on 11.11 systems.  I've attached a copy.

If the tips in the paper don't work, you're likely looking at a reboot.

Regards,

Dave

I work for HPE

[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
TeresaY
Advisor

Hi Dave,

I followed the instructions on your white paper.  It seems the process couldn't be terminated. "fuser -ku" and "kill -9" both wouldn't work.

# umount /mountpoint
nfs umount: nfs_unmount: /mountpoint: is busy
umount: return error 1.

# fuser -u nfs_server:/nfs_share
nfs_server:/nfs_share:    17659o(root)

# fuser -ku nfs_server:/nfs_share

# ps -fp 17659
     UID   PID  PPID  C    STIME TTY       TIME COMMAND
    root 17659     1  0 03:30:37 ?        263:56 /someprogram 

# fuser -ku /some_program
/someprogram:    17659mt(root)

#

Thanks,

Teresa

Dave Olker
HPE Pro

Sounds like you're left with rebooting the client.

Dave

I work for HPE

[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

Note: This isn't a zombie since they can be cleaned up.  This is just a hung process.

TeresaY
Advisor

Is there a way to clean up the hung process without rebooting?

Our nfs server is a Windows 2003 server using Services For Unix 3.5. We have lots of file I/O operations  between the two servers. Once in a while(probably every 3-4 months), the Windows server would complain about corrupted files and needs to run chkdsk to repair some security descriptors (the stage 3 of the chkdsk).  Last time when this happened I had to reboot HP UX server to clean up the process.

Thanks,

Teresa

Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>Is there a way to clean up the hung process without rebooting?

In general no, not if kill -9 fails.  Otherwise you must get that I/O to finish.  Possibly when the NFS server reboots?

Basically you need a more robust NFS server.

TeresaY
Advisor

NFS server were rebooted several times and the hung process are still there. Do you know any better products for gateway serverices between Unix  and Windows? (other than Windows SFU3.5)

Thanks,
Teresa

TeresaY
Advisor

I have two network interfaces on HPUX server. I dont't know if disabling the one (with stops responding process) and renable the interface would work or not.  (Got the idea from Dave's whitepaper...)

Tested on the other HPUX server, and it could umount the mount point after the network interface was disabled. (Don't know if it will work on the actual problem.)

What I will do:

ifconfig lanA down

umount /mountpoint

ifconfig lanA up

This way is less disruptive. I will report if this works or not.

Teresa