3462 Online
108762 Solutions
New Discussion

OpenVMS and TCPIP Printing

SeanBoston
Occasional Visitor

OpenVMS and TCPIP Printing

Hello All;

Recently we've upgraded our print queues from Multinet stream queues to TCPIP print queues. Since the upgrade we have issues where queues are stalling all the time. It only appears to be affecting printers that are connected to Cisco Access Servers 2500 routers and ports 4000 and above.

Any one have any experience with the same issue?

Regards,

4 REPLIES 4
Hoff
Honored Contributor

Re: OpenVMS and TCPIP Printing

Checked the logs for the print symbiont(s)?

How many printers?

Your reference to Cisco Access Server 2500 implies remote-connected printers and possibly dial-up connections, and that set-up can add a whole big pile of transient weird into any network configuration, with a side-helping of both flaky and unreliable.

The default IP port for printing on a whole pile of printers is 9100, so seeing printer ports active above 4000 is entirely normal.

Verify the network switch configurations and accessibility of the devices; transients and configuration errors can trigger these sorts of errors, too.

Jeremy Begg
Trusted Contributor

You said, "Recently we've upgraded our print queues from Multinet stream queues to TCPIP print queues...", so you've removed MultiNet TCP/IP from your system and installed TCP/IP Services instead?

What printer symbiont are the queues using?

If possible, run tcpdump on the print traffic to see when the stall occurs.

Regards,

Jeremy Begg

SeanBoston
Occasional Visitor

We are using TCPIP$TELNETSYM symbiont. Sorry we migrated from Alpha servers running OpenVMS and Multinet to Itaniums running OpenVMS and TCPIP services.

Jeremy Begg
Trusted Contributor

There are a whole lot of logical names for controlling the TCPIP$TELNETSYM symbiont, I think many of them are documented in the TCP/IP Services Management Guide (chapter 25 I think).

I find SYS$SYSTEM:TCPIP$TCPDUMP.EXE to be very handy in solving these sorts of problems.  (It's almost identical to the MULTINET TCPDUMP program you might have used previously.)

Regards,
Jeremy Begg