SOLVED
Go to solution
Doug Phillips
Trusted Contributor

Pathworks 6.1

$ multinet show /version
CISCO MultiNet V4.0 Rev A, MicroVAX 3100, OpenVMS VAX V6.2

$ admin show version
PATHWORKS V6.1 for OpenVMS (Advanced Server)

Trying to add this MV to my home network which has another similar 3100 (VAX1 - same software versions) that works (was installed years ago.)

I have set users, groups, shares, account policy and domain info (PW & Multinet) identical to working system.

From WindowsPC's, I can see this VAX but trying to "open" it prompts for username and password; attempts to log in (with my name or administrator) fail -- except I was able to log in *once* as administrator from *one* PC (failure event entry and other info included later.)

I can connect to VAX2 via telnet & FTP.

The VAX1 was set up so long ago that I don't remember what "magic" I did to make it work smoothly, and my notes have hidden themselves someplace.

$ show lice pw*

Active licenses on node VAX2:

------- Product ID -------- ---- Rating ----- -- Version --
Product Producer Units Avail Activ Version Release Termination
PWLMXXXCA07.03 DEC 1000 0 100 0.0 (none) (none)

$ admin show services
Services on server "VAX2":
Service Status
--------------- ---------------
BROWSER Started
EVENTLOG Started
NETLOGON Started
SERVER Started

Total of 4 services

$ admin show share/full public
Shared resources on server "VAX2":
Name Type Description
------------ --------- -----------------------------
PUBLIC Directory
Path: USER_DISK:[KA]
Connections: Current: 0, Maximum: No limit
RMS file format: Stream
Directory Permissions: System: RWED, Owner: RWED, Group: RWED, World: RE
File Permissions: System: RWD, Owner: RWD, Group: RWD, World: R
Share Permissions:
Everyone Full Control

Total of 1 share

With the exception of the name, VAX1 shows the same settings.

From admin Event log (my user name generates the same message):

F 07/13/07 01:20:36 PM Security Logon/Logoff 529 SYSTEM VAX2
Logon Failure:
Reason: Unknown user name or bad password
User Name: administrator
Domain: KAHOMENET
Logon Type: 3
Logon Process: NTLanMan
Authentication Package: msv1_0

Any help or pointers would be much appreciated. I figure it's something simple, and I've solved this problem before, but that was sooo long ago. (PS: I even committed the sacrilege of re-booting the VAX in desperation!)
7 REPLIES 7
Karl Rohwedder
Honored Contributor

Re: Pathworks 6.1

During the config phase, has the new VAX successfully been joined into your domain, has a computer account been created?
Did the new VAX show up on ADMIN SHO COMPUTER on the old one?
Any 'strange' messages in the logfiles?

regards Kalle
Art Wiens
Respected Contributor

Is there a corresponding OPCOM message on the VAX that might shed another clue?

Art
Doug Phillips
Trusted Contributor

Kalle: I took VAX1 off the network to get VAX2 installed as PDC and will add it back as BDC when I get VAX2 working. It is running, but not in the network. I really don't want to change *anything* on it until I get VAX2 working.

The PC's are running as a workgroup so the VAX1 (and now VAX2) hasn't really had any domain duties.

VAX2 shows up on all PC's network browse. All accounts were created and appear correct.

ADMIN SHOW COMPUTERS on VAX2 shows itself as [PD] and all of the PCs as [WS]

I can find nothing in the pwrk$logs or pwrk$lmlogs that indicates a problem. It logs a security event like the one I posted every time I try to access the VAX2 from a PC.

Art: OPCOM doesn't show anything happening at the time of the event. I do see a BlobCache Warning during boot, so I'll need to look into that.
Paul Nunez
Respected Contributor

Hi Doug,

Do you similar behavior if you do:

$ admin logon administrator

You might try restting the admininstrator password:

$ admin mod user administrator/password="whatever"

Or add a new user and use "Connect As" from the client.

One (remote) possibility is a corrupt SAM. To check it do:

$ pwstop
$ samcheck -s

If it reports anything other than "no corruption found", it's corrupt and should be rebuilt:

$ rename pwrk$lmdomains:*.* *.old
$ rename pwrk$lmdatafiles:*.* *.old
$ pwconf

don't start up PATHWORKS when prompted by pwrk$config

$ set def pwrk$lmdatafiles:
$ rename sharedb. *.new
$ rename acl. *.new
$ rename shared.old sharedb.
$ rename acl.old acl.
$ pwstart

Paul
Doug Phillips
Trusted Contributor

$ admin logon administrator
Password:
The server \\VAX2 successfully logged you on as Administrator.
Your privilege level on domain KAHOMENET is ADMIN.
The last time you logged on was 07/14/07 12:14 PM.
$
$ pwstop
Shutting down the currently running server(s)...
$ samcheck -s

No corruption was detected in the SAM database.
$

That BlobCache warning tells me I need to bump up the Data Cache (it was 1024.) That rings a bell for me, so I stepped it up to 4096 and manually set client capacity.

The VAX has been up for a while and I've had some "busy work" programs running so I'll do an autogen and look at that when I get a chance (hopefully later today or tomorrow.)

There's not a lot of memory in the machine, so I'll need to do some thinking about what I want to have it do.

I don't know if this has anything to do with the client login problem, though. Maybe it's resource related, but maybe you have an idea?

*Any* other suggestions will be appreciated.

Paul Nunez
Respected Contributor
Solution

Man, Doug, you got a real baffler here :o).

Not sure if that version of multinet includes the tcpdump utility, but if it does, get/post a trace of the failure:

$ multi -tcpdump/write_binary=capfile.cap/file_format=sniffer/snapshot_size=1518 port 139

Other alternative would be to download/install Wireshark and WinPcap (www.wireshark.org) and us it to obtain a trace on one of the PCs.

Since the clients can connect to the other PW server, it would not seem to be a client issue. But everything looks kosher on the server side.?. Probably something simple, nonetheless...

Paul
Doug Phillips
Trusted Contributor

Paul: I am now able to connect from my XP's but not from my Vista Laptop (I can connect to VAX1 when I put it on the net.)

After autogen & reboot, I ADMIN'ed and reset the passwords to upper case, then back to "lowercase" and re-booted the PC's <--(that might have been the key)

So now the XP's (and an old 98) can connect. Vista still can't, but I'll move on and try to put VAX1 back in --- I'll leave him PDC and change VAX2 to BDC because VAX1 has more memory.

I'll keep your other suggestions a play with them later.

Thanks.