Operating System - HP-UX
1753835 Members
8105 Online
108806 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Routing with multiple lan card with HP-UX

Routing with multiple lan card with HP-UX

Hello,
I have a system running 11iV2 with two lan cards (lan0 and lan1). Default routing is enable on lan 0 and when I try so setup a route using route command on lan1, I get "Network is unreachable" message.

Any idea ?
Thank you for help.

6 REPLIES 6
Antonio Cardoso_1
Trusted Contributor

Re: Routing with multiple lan card with HP-UX

Hi,

is your lan1 correctly plugged, and the gateway you intend to use reachable using this lan?

=> traceroute -i lan1

Mel Burslan
Honored Contributor

did you add the "route count" to your command ?

i.e., your command should look like this :

route add [net/host] w.x.y.z a.b.c.d 1

where w.x.y.z. is IP address of the host or network you are trying to reach and a.b.c.d. is the IP address of the gateway to this destination. the numeric 1 at the end of the command tells the interface, it is not the gateway itself, instead the network is at least another 1 hop away from the computer.

If this does not work, let us know more about the error you are getting.

Hi,
thank you for your answers.

Yes my network is correctly plugged and I can ping the GW. I didn't try the " traceroute -i lan1" command, only "traceroute ".

I used "route add [net/host] w.x.y.z a.b.c.d" command to add the route but without the 1 at the end. I am familiar with other Unix's where I don't use this syntax.

I'll try tomorrow morning and let you know .

I thought that standard HP-UX configuration wasn't able to use multiple lan cards for routing (I don't have routed or gated enabled and I don't want them) . Is it wrong ?

Thank you again

Regards
Mel Burslan
Honored Contributor

as long as you set the static routes using route add commands, you do not need gated or routed running to route your packet properly. If you do not have any static routes set, then all your packets will go out from the default route which is through the default interface where the main ip address of this machine lives (usually lan0).

regardless what static routes you set, UDMP packets, i.e., ping, traceroute and others, will go out of your default interface unless you specify the interface name wherever possible, like traceroute -i command.

Hope this helps

The gateway must be in a locally connected subnet.

One can have routing with multiple NICs in HP-UX.

There can be "complexities" if you want each of those NICs to be configured into the same IP subnet. In general, the "best" thing to do if you want multiple NICs in the same IP subnet is to acquire HP Auto Port Aggregation software and configure the NICs into a link-aggregate and assign the IP(s) in question to the link-aggregate.

Otherwise, one has to do things like set ip_strong_es_model to one or two and make use of stuff like Proxy ARP.
there is no rest for the wicked yet the virtuous have no pillows

Hello,
It works with hop count option set to 1.

Thank you everybody for this help

Best regards

End of stream