New Discussion юеВ

Re: SAM stuck at "Initializing"

SOLVED
Go to solution
Vitug
Occasional Advisor

SAM stuck at "Initializing"

Hi,

I just started today as the new unix admin and one of the thing on my plate is to fix SAM. My predecessor had configured X Windows to run CDE through cygwin and now SAM stopped working using the TUI for some strange reason. It might just be a coincindence but the problem may or may not be related. We have also tried reinstalling SAM and updating the patch but that didn't help. Please help point me to the right direction.

I've also attached a screen shot.

Thanks,
Vitug
15 REPLIES 15
Yang Qin_1
Honored Contributor
Solution

Can you have a look at /var/sam/log/samlog and see if some errors logged there?

Do you have problem with devices (ioscan -fn) file systems (bdf will hang)?
Vitug
Occasional Advisor

I did not see any errors in the /var/sam/log/samlog file (see attached). I only copied the logs when I try to run SAM.

ioscan and bdf are both working fine as well.
Vitug
Occasional Advisor

I did not see any errors in the /var/sam/log/samlog file (see attached). I only copied the logs when I try to run SAM.

ioscan and bdf are both working fine as well.
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

Start by making sure the DISPLAY variable is not set (unset DISPLAY). Make sure you never hardcode the TERM variable but have ttytype -s set the terminal type for you:

eval $(ttytype -s)

(this should be run in /etc/profile in place of any other TERM tests)

Now I am ASSUMING by TUI that you are using a simple telnet connection and Xwindows is not used at all. Note that CDE is very confusing because it starts a terminal window not on your PC but on the HP-UX box, and then throws it's display over to your PC. A simple telnet session is just typing the telnet command in the DOS command window on your PC.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Prasanth B
Trusted Contributor

Hi,

First check the DISPLAY variable. echo $DISPLAY. If it is set, unset it. Check the users .profile or /etc/profile if DISPLAY variable is set. If so, remove it.

Check to see if another sam process is running/hanging etc

Try rebooting the server, if possible.

-PB

Take life as it comes
Yang Qin_1
Honored Contributor

Hi, Vitug, if you attached is a full samlog then it looks like SAM stopped at the point it tried to find two files:
/opt/graphics/common/bin/setmon
/opt/graphics/common/bin/gamma

Can you also check if you have set DISPLAY or not? "echo $DISPLAY"
Vitug
Occasional Advisor

I have unset the DISPLAY variable and tried running SAM and it still did not work. I'm using putty btw.
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

Using putty and the DISPLAY variable unset, what does the end of the SAM log look like now?

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Vitug
Occasional Advisor

I unset the DISPLAY and ran sam again via putty. The end of the log looks exactly the same as the last one I attached previously.

I have also ran swverify and found errors with the SystemAdmin.SAM filesets and couple files with permissions and gui/uid errors. HP Support suggested that I run the following command:

swverify -x fix=true SystemAdmin.\*

After running the above command, I ran sam again but it is still stuck at the "Initialization" screen.

Please help.

Thanks again for all your posts.

Vitug