1752555 Members
5015 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

SFTP directory listing

The Brit
Honored Contributor

SFTP directory listing

I have a client who runs an application which connects to my system and retrieves files on a daily basis.

I recently migrated from Alpha (7.3-2) to itanium (8.3-1H1), and from TCPWARE (V5.7) to TCPIP Services (5.6 ECO 3).

The client claims that, prior to the migration, when he logged in via SFTP the files would be displayed without version numbers, whereas now the "semicolon, version number" is included in the display which is causing his application problems. Apparently it is looking for files ending in .txt or .*

Basic question:: is it possible to display the files without the "semicolon, version number"??

(I suspect it depends on the client!)

Dave.

6 REPLIES 6
Hein van den Heuvel
Honored Contributor

Re: SFTP directory listing

I just did a 'strings' on what i expect to be the sftp server image and is lists

TCPIP$SSH_VMS_PLUS_SFTP_VERSION

I couldn';t find it in a manual readily, I suggest you try setting to yes or no.

Hein

pipe mcr sys$login:strings sys$system:TCPIP$SSH_SFTP-SERVER2 | searc sys$pipe version

http://h30266.www3.hp.com/odl/axpos/network/tcpip56/BA548_90007/index.html

The Brit
Honored Contributor

I tried setting this logical (/sys/exec) to both yes and no, but it had no effect.

By the way, what is "strings"??

Dave.
Hein van den Heuvel
Honored Contributor

Yeah, I just tried as well.
No luck with a simple yes or no.

Then I tried ANAL/SYS ... LNM LOAD .. LNM START TRACE ... "sftp session ls XX" .. LNM STOP TRACE ... LNM SHOW TRACE.

Well, that is not something you want to do on an empty stomach.
While the result was 2 files listed, I scored 42 locigal name translations per file in the directory, yes for each file and each version, each pre-pended with "./"

Two of those were "TZ" and a cute : TCPIP$FTP_SKIP_LOGICALS

Well, I guess that with the time it takes to do all this cr@*234ony, and with personal alphas and such on laptops, you need to make sure you the system did not change time zones during the command. Now this command does not return a time, and if it did, I would really not want it to change timezones while listing no? Oh well. bloat and structured programming at their best!

"strings" is my own little, macro, implementation of the unix standard strings command. It comes in real handy when dealing with unknown programs/files.
I attached it.
Be aware, this is 'beer ware'.
If you use it, you owe me a beer.

Cheers,
Hein.

Hoff
Honored Contributor

I suspect that logical name is tied to some vms_plus stuff, and not to some file version stuff.

As for the file version mechanisms, I'd tend to look to see if I could slide some of the DECC logical names into the stack underneath sftp; sftp (hopefully?) doesn't know much about the OpenVMS stuff, and just uses C to access the files. (And it's seemingly the C library that tends to lob all sorts of calls around; the port of the Mozilla browser found that stat was a fairly heavy-weight operation when used as frequently as that browser did, for instance.)

As an alternative here that doesn't involve the upheaval of a stack change (again), check with Process around their ssh/sftp pieces: http://process.com/tcpip/ssh.html

Any other approach I can think of leads to a longer chain, or to remedial work in the client environment. Or to port-forwarding of ftp via ssh.

In the short term, ring up HP support; they're certainly most likely to be familiar with the issues that have arisen within ssh and sftp.

The Brit
Honored Contributor

I thought you had something there Hoff,
I did find some DECC logicals which looked quite promising. i.e.

DECC$FILENAME_UNIX_ONLY
DECC$FILENAME_UNIX_NO_VERSION

etc.

Unfortunately they didn't make any difference, (unless i defined them wrong.)

I have passed the question on to HP Support, to see if there is any response.

Thanks for your help.

Dave.

The Brit
Honored Contributor

Turned out to be a bug related to a 12 character username and login directory. The problem was previously reported by customers in the far East, so a fix was available.

Dave.