Operating System - HP-UX
1753904 Members
9733 Online
108810 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Trying to get a J3515A 10/100 MBit network card to run at Full Dulpex on HP-UX 11.0.

SOLVED
Go to solution
Jeffrey Gorney
Occasional Contributor

Trying to get a J3515A 10/100 MBit network card to run at Full Dulpex on HP-UX 11.0.

The J3515A card is installed on a D370. I consistently get source quench errors when pinging this card from an XP or WIN2003 client/server. After reading threads on this issue I wanted to ensure I had the card was set to full duplex. According to my configuration info the card is set to 100FD, but the port (lights) on the switch where the card is plugged in says it's running at 100 Half Duplex. I've tried plugging it into different switches etc. and they report the same. I've even tried different cables. Here are the settings from the hpgsc100conf file:
HP_GSC100_INTERFACE_NAME[0]=lan3
HP_GSC100_STATION_ADDRESS[0]=
HP_GSC100_SPEED[0]=100FD

Any ideas or advice?
6 REPLIES 6
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Trying to get a J3515A 10/100 MBit network card to run at Full Dulpex on HP-UX 11.0.

What is the port on your switch set to?

Is it set to AUTO-NEGOTIATE? If so, try setting it to 100FD and see if that helps.
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

Jeffrey,

Try setting the card's speed manually first:

lanadmin -X 100FD 0

where 0 is the card's instance or PPA number from lanscan.

Then check with lanadmin -x 0

Assuming you can get it set manually, you then need to figure out which config file you need to modify. It depends on the driver used by your particular card (check with ioscan):

btlan hpbtlanconf
btlan0 hpeisabtconf
btlan1 hpbasetconf
btlan3 hpbase100conf
btlan4 hpgsc100conf
btlan5 hppci100conf
btlan6 hpsppci100conf

Pete

Pete
Alexander M. Ermes
Honored Contributor

Hi there.
Check your system with 'netstat -rn'.
Taht should show the number of the interface.
Now go to 'lanadmin' / 'lan'/ppa #of-lan-interface'
then go for 'display'.
That will show some details abozt the setuo of your nic.
If that is ok, go for Patrick's idea.
Rgds
Alexander M. Ermes
.. and all these memories are going to vanish like tears in the rain! final words from Rutger Hauer in "Blade Runner"
Jeffrey Gorney
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the advice.
All of the configuration information was showing that the card was configured for full duplex, so I went the route of manually setting the switch for full duplex.
The port on the switch where the D370 connected was set for auto so I changed it to force Full Duplex. The lights on the switch now show 100 Fdx and the D370 is communicating to the network, so I guess all is well. I am still having the source quench problem though. I will investigate the source quench issue deeper to see if there is a patch that's needed.

Thanks for all your help.
Alexander M. Ermes
Honored Contributor

Hi there.
Thanks is usually expressed in assigning points to the people.
Rgds
Alexander M. Ermes
.. and all these memories are going to vanish like tears in the rain! final words from Rutger Hauer in "Blade Runner"
rick jones
Honored Contributor

Unless and until one _knows_ that autoneg between a NIC and a switch is broken and cannot be fixed by say replacing the switch you really should leave everything as autoneg. See the attached for how autoneg is supposed to work - all too often people think it is OK to hardcode one side and the other side in autoneg will "get it" but it wont...

WRT sourcequench, HP-UX 11.0 was entirely too eager to send those - there should be an ndd setting you can use to turn them off. They don't really do much good anyway.
there is no rest for the wicked yet the virtuous have no pillows