1753312 Members
5864 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Unable to use all commands when FTPing

James Ellis_1
Super Advisor

Unable to use all commands when FTPing

I am running a 9000 server and 11.0 OS. I turned my system into a trusted system, and now some developers from outside (beyond my firewall) my network are able to FTP to the server, but get error messages when they try to do a "put, get, or ls" (but they can use the pwd and cd commands). They were able to FTP before I turned the server into a trusted system. Anything on trusted system or any feedback would help greatly. Thanks!
"In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity" -Einstein
4 REPLIES 4
Rick Garland
Honored Contributor

Re: Unable to use all commands when FTPing

What are the error messages?
Rita C Workman
Honored Contributor

There's a couple things going on here...
I don't have trusted systems...but I believe the passwd files are not in the usual places and from what your describing it reminds me of the problem that you would see if you set up an Anonymous FTP server and did not remember to copy down for the user the ~/ls and ~/pwd files.
Just a suggestion, take one user and under his home directory try creating a directory 'bin'..than copy /usr/sbin/ls and /usr/bin/pwd to this directory.
Then chmod & set the /home/user/bin directory=555 and set the /home/user/bin/ls & pwd=111. < See what happens >
I don't know that this will resolve the problems....because I'm not sure if a trusted system will view everyone as 'guest'...which may be the next issue..

But this is just a suggestion....
James Ellis_1
Super Advisor

The error message I get is:

User connects via ftp

ftp> get

ftp get: connection reset by peer

User can issue these commands 'pwd' 'cd'

User issues this command 'ls' gives error message saying 'reset connection by peer'

User not able to issue 'put' and 'get' succesasfully even though ftp acknowledges commands were successful...it would just hung until the server ran out the session time.

Thanks for any help you provide...
"In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity" -Einstein
Tim Malnati
Honored Contributor

If it is only users from outside the firewall, then the firewall is probably the problem. Have one of your users shift to passive mode and attempt a file transfer (pasv command). Most ftp implementations support it. If this works, I suggest that you not change anything where opening up full ftp control throught the firewall presents some additional issues.