Operating System - OpenVMS
1753946 Members
7703 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: What IO tools are available on OpenVMS ?

Cactus
Occasional Contributor

What IO tools are available on OpenVMS ?

I used to use blast to run IO on other platforms, but there is no blast on OpenVMS, so is there any good IO tools available on OpenVMS 8.3 Itanium? Thanks in advance.

Another problem, in order to use blast, I have set up the NFS server on OpenVMS platform and export the filesystem, then mount them to a HP-UX system and run blast against the mounted filesystem. But OpenVMS server rebooted after the IO run for sometime. It seems there is something wrong with the NFS server. Does someone else met the same probme with me. Thanks.

The following is the log from operator.log

%%%%%%%%%%% OPCOM 23-AUG-2007 21:45:21.44 %%%%%%%%%%%
Message from user TCPIP$NFS on NJ
%TCPIP-S-NFS_UMASUC, all file systems are unmounted
-TCPIP-S-NFS_CLIENT, uid=0 gid=0 host_name =

%%%%%%%%%%% OPCOM 23-AUG-2007 22:12:33.21 %%%%%%%%%%%
%%%%%%%%%%% OPCOM 23-AUG-2007 22:13:53.24 %%%%%%%%%%%

%%%%%%%%%%% OPCOM 23-AUG-2007 22:14:34.30 %%%%%%%%%%%
2 REPLIES 2
Robert Gezelter
Honored Contributor

Cactus,

First, BLAST is not a standard acronym. I have seen several software components with similar names. Which BLAST are you referring to? [www citation appreciated]

Second, in at least one of the cases of a software component referred to as BLAST (the case of a software interface used in bioinformatics), a very brief review of the articles available on the www reveals that while it should be implementable on OpenVMS, certainly use of NFS would be one of the least efficient ways of doing it. (My quick read does, however, show that a highly efficient implementation of that BLAST would certainly be feasible although to achieve high efficiency it would likely not be a port of either the Windows of Linux/Unix versions).

As to the NFS server, certainly situations that cause a server failure are worthy of investigation.

- Bob Gezelter, http://www.rlgsc.com
Willem Grooters
Honored Contributor

On your NFS problem: Though my knowledge of NFS is virtual, I could think of a few issues.

-S- ==> Success.
It seems to me something _succeeded_. So what?

uid = 0, gid = 0, hostname=
Seems ugly in this context.

Are you sure that the NFS-service started on VMS after reboot? No layered product (except DECNet perhaps) will start automatically. You'll have to specify (in SYSTARTUP_VMS.COM or in some file executed by that procedure) that layered products are started.

I'm not sure whether this is feasable for NFS but you'll never know :) :
On definition of ANY TCPIP service, if you dont use TCPIP$CONFIG, be sure to use SET CONFIGURATION. That will alter the persistant database. SET alone alters the running configuration only and changes will be lost on system shutdown.
Willem Grooters
OpenVMS Developer & System Manager