Operating System - HP-UX
1752570 Members
5427 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: What is the max NFS mounted filesystem size that a HP-UX 11.0 and 11.11 NFS client can use?

Geoff Wild
Honored Contributor

What is the max NFS mounted filesystem size that a HP-UX 11.0 and 11.11 NFS client can use?

I need an official HP doc that states the above file system limitations.

They changed the behind the scenes NFS server to an EMC Isilon and since then we have been having major issues on some of our old legacy servers that use automounts.

Example:

# bdf /home/oracle
Filesystem          kbytes    used   avail %used Mounted on
myfiler.mydomain.net:/ifs/nfs/myfiler/is/Operations/Home_Unix/oracle
                   45469184 -2147483648 2147483647  256% /home/oracle

On a newer system, the actual filesystem size is shown to be 352TB.

# df -h /home/oracle
Filesystem             size   used  avail capacity  Mounted on
                       352T   209T   137T    61%    /home/oracle

Because of this, we are having issues sometimes mounting and reading/writing to these filesystems.

Examples:

server not responding: RPC: Rpcbind failure - RPC: Timed out

No such file or directory

ORA_ARCH5 is down and can not get the device id! errno= 238

On servers where the home is automounted, your login process wouldn't finish as your .sh_history was on one of these massive shares - so you had to ctrl c to get to the prompt.

Thanks...Geoff

P.S. This thread has been moved from HP-UX>System Administration to HP-UX > networking. -HP Forum Moderator

Proverbs 3:5,6 Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make all your paths straight.
3 REPLIES 3
Dave Olker
HPE Pro

Re: What is the max NFS mounted filesystem size that a HP-UX 11.0 and 11.11 NFS client can use?

For the time being, take automounter out of the picture and manually mount the filesystem and upload the results of the following commands:

# mkdir /nfstest

# mount myfiler.mydomain.net:/ifs/nfs/myfiler/is/Operations/Home_Unix/oracle /nfstest

# bdf /nfstest

# nfsstat -m

Dave

I work for HPE

[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
Geoff Wild
Honored Contributor

I assume you just want to see if there's a difference between the 2 mounts:

# bdf /nfstest
Filesystem          kbytes    used   avail %used Mounted on
                   45469184 -2147483648 2147483647  257% /nfstest

/home/oracle from myfiler.mydomain.net:/ifs/nfs/myfiler/is/Operations/Home_Unix/oracle  (Addr 192.168.1.148)
 Flags:   vers=3,proto=tcp,auth=unix,hard,intr,link,symlink,rsize=32768,wsize=32768,retrans=5
 All:     srtt=  0 (  0ms), dev=  0 (  0ms), cur=  0 (  0ms)

/nfstest from myfiler.mydomain.net:/ifs/nfs/myfiler/is/Operations/Home_Unix/oracle  (Addr 192.168.1.148)
 Flags:   vers=3,proto=tcp,auth=unix,hard,intr,link,symlink,devs,rsize=32768,wsize=32768,retrans=5
 All:     srtt=  0 (  0ms), dev=  0 (  0ms), cur=  0 (  0ms)

Proverbs 3:5,6 Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make all your paths straight.
Dave Olker
HPE Pro

What OS is this NFS client running?  What NFS patches are installed on the client?

I work for HPE

[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo