Operating System - HP-UX
1748009 Members
4508 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

changing tcp parameters without restarting app will produce errors?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Jdamian
Respected Contributor

changing tcp parameters without restarting app will produce errors?

Hi guys

I'm going to increase the values of the TCP parameters tcp_xmit_hiwater_def and tcp_recv_hiwater_def.

If I do by means of ndd, should I restart de applications? If not, will they get errors on current connections?

Thank in advance
5 REPLIES 5
likid0
Honored Contributor

Re: changing tcp parameters without restarting app will produce errors?

Hy,

I dont' know exactly for those parameters, but with ndd normaly there is no problem with the current connections, but until you restart the application it won't get the ndd changes
Windows?, no thanks
Laurent Menase
Honored Contributor
Solution

in fact if your application is on server side
and accept() sockets
then you need to restart the application, because this is inherited from the listening socket.
if your application is on client side, and connect() to other systems then the new socket opened will have the new values.

This has no effect on currently used sockets.
also if your application is using setsockopt(SO_RCVBUF/SO_SNDBUF) those params will have no effects at all.
Jdamian
Respected Contributor

Thanx

I understand the apps must be restarted to take profit of the new config BUT the key is whether the current sockets will be report errors after ndd is changed --- I'm affraid the service is affected.
rick jones
Honored Contributor

They will not get errors.

They will not see the effect of the change to tcp_xmit_hiwater_def and tcp_recv_hiwater_def unless/until they make a call to socket() to create a new TCP socket. Depending on your application(s) that will either happen without restarting, or not until the applications are restarted.

If you applications make explicit setsockopt() calls to set SO_SNDBUF or SO_RCVBUF they may not see the effect at all since they are not relying on the defaults.

What is leading you to want to change tcp_xmit_hiwater_def and tcp_recv_hiwater_def, and what do you expect them to improve?
there is no rest for the wicked yet the virtuous have no pillows
Jdamian
Respected Contributor