New Discussion юеВ

Re: data share between windows and UNIX

SOLVED
Go to solution
Frank Li
Trusted Contributor

data share between windows and UNIX

Hi,

Some of our project will be done on windows(NT or 98) platform . the HP unix system and the windows will mutually access the data each other .

Could you tell me that how can I do so that the HP unix can access the data on the windows system ?

And the windows system how to access the data on the unix machine ?

Frank.
Hi Friend
14 REPLIES 14
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor
Solution

The easy answer is to use SAMBA (called CIFS/9000 for version 11.0). Howwever, you will be sharing somewhat incompatible file subsystems. For example, a plain ASCII file on the PC will have an extra character (^M or the carriage return character) at the end of each line.

Conversely, an HP-UX ASCII file will be unreadable in Notepad. Wordpad and Word will look OK but the lone LF (line feed character) used by Unix will be seen as a soft return which is meaningful in word processors.

Of course, executables are not compatible. Binary data files are probably the most compatible as long as the appropriate programs are available on both systems.

Documentation for CIFS in found at docs.hp.com and SAMBA can be found at www.samba.org.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Philip Chan_1
Respected Contributor

Samba should be the way to go. It (CIFS/9000)is available in depot format that can be downloaded from HP, do a search on "CIFS" then you should found it.

For incompatible linefeed characters, these can be fixed by the "ux2dos" and "dos2ux" commands.

Rgds,
Philip
Fred Martin_1
Valued Contributor

We use a product called FacetWin, that lets you share printers and folders/directories in either direction between unix and NT (or, Win95). Also allows PCs to use unix modems, etc. It's pretty robust. Security and permisions apply, etc. and you can control what will be shared, what won't be.

Costs though, and a yearly maintenance fee is the way to go with this product, since you'll need support when you upgrade unix etc.

See it at www.facetcorp.com
fmartin@applicatorssales.com
John Bolene
Honored Contributor

Samba (CIFS) will allow you to access the Unix data and the Windows data from a Windows PC.
It will not allow Unix to get to the Windows data on the Windows machine.
You will have to use the Samba directory for moving data back and forth that is to be used.

IE, the Samba directory on the Unix machine can be seen by both, but the Windows directory can only be seen by Windows.

I am not sure if this is what you want to do.
It is always a good day when you are launching rockets! http://tripolioklahoma.org, Mostly Missiles http://mostlymissiles.com
Mark Mitchell
Trusted Contributor

I use a product from NETMANAGE, it is very stable and is called View-Now. It will allow you to map Unix directories to Windows based computers like network drives. Go to
www.netmanage.com and check it out. There is also a solaris product too.
Joseph T. Wyckoff
Honored Contributor

Similar ideas here...

Microsoft sells a set of gadgets called Services For Unix (SFU) - to my knowledge the usful tool here would be an NFS daemon to run on NT.

There are other brands of NFS (and unix-like services) out there - including, I think, some that are 'freeware' or 'shareware.'

In the past I have seen people script FTP for a batch (i.e. nightly) transfer from one platform to another... a sort of poor mans mirror. Since both platforms have an ftpd (NT needs IIS - but it is usually installed nowdays) this is workable - cheap.

But, as mentioned elsewhere, since CIFS is available on HPUX - all you need to do is install it - that is probably your best solution.
Omniback and NT problems? double check name resolution, DNS/HOSTS...
Account Not Used
Frequent Advisor

SAMBA is a nice tool provided you aren't using it across a Production environment. The SAMBA protocal does bring Windows security vulnerabilties over to the Unix side. I would be very cautious on setting it up.
"Who moved my cheese?"
Terry Kozak

Definitely Samba www.samba.org.
There is a packaged version for HP-UX called CIFS9000.
I like to compile so i grabbed the latest source and compiled it. My preference.

If you have an NT domain controller you can have your workstation authenticate against the NT box then allow access to the HP-UX server if successful.

the ^M is definitely a problem.
Samba according to their docs has not promised a fix for this but dos2ux and ux2dos usually cleans up the ascii files so its ok.

AFI HP-UX ADMIN
Advisor

I implemented CIFS/9000 (SAMBA) on our development boxes. - The developers love it. Our mainframers are even deploying SAMBA on OS/390 to provide the same functionality.

One warning; filename casing gets mangled during file transfers. Haven't had time to read the manual yet. Oreilly has the 'Using SAMBA' book in PDF and HTML format for the taking.
command line # or GUI ?