108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: issue ftping file from HP-UX 11.11 to Windows FTP server

SOLVED
Go to solution
John Jimenez
Super Advisor

issue ftping file from HP-UX 11.11 to Windows FTP server

For years we have been able to ftp from UNIX server 1 to Windows FTP server 1. But today we are having issues. HP Server 1 connects via ftp to server 1 and begins to ftp but does not finish the ftp of even a small file Windows FTP server 1 has 5 gig available, so disk is not full. We can ftp from UNIX server 1 to Windows FTP server 2 and FTP server 3, so you would think that maybe FTP server 1 is having the issue. But we can ftp from Windows client to Windows FTP Server 1. Any hints on how to diagnose this?
Hustle Makes things happen
7 REPLIES 7
John Jimenez
Super Advisor

I can monitor ftp processes from /var/adm/syslog/syslog.log when this HP-UX host is a ftp server, but since he is a client, I show no logs. But I assume that since windows is the server, that it should have logs that we can monitor too.
Mel Burslan
Honored Contributor

What changed on Windows FTP server between the last time it was able to complete this transfer successfully and today ?

Windows FTP Servers 1, 2 and 3 : Are they all on the same network ? Open a command prompt windows on each of them and run

ipconfig /all

post outputs here. If Win FTP server 1 is on a different network than 2 or 3, there might be a change or problem with the network equipment between your HPUX server and FTP server 1.

Hard to tall without seeing an actual command output.

on HPUX server, please do this and post the output here:

ls -l
ftp WinFTPsvr1
enter username
enter password
ftp> bin
ftp> hash
ftp> put

make sure you include all # signs that were on the screen. If the file is a few hundred kilobytes, like 200-300 KB, it is better than transferring a small file like 2-3 K-bytes.

If you have network monitoring tools (Wireshark on Window and tcpdump on HP-UX) you could trace the network trafic at both ends to see what might be happening at that level.

Has somone changed any firewall rules recently?

There may be some clues in the Windows System Event Logs (Right-click My Computer>>Select Manage >> Click on Event Viewer >> Click on each of the logs displayed.

Steven Schweda
Honored Contributor

> [...] we are having issues [...]

Are those anything like _problems_?

> [...] begins to ftp but does not finish the
> ftp [...]

As usual, showing actual commands with their
actual output can be more helpful than vague
descriptions or interpretations.

> [...] But we can ftp from Windows client to
> Windows FTP Server 1. [...]

How about from the HP-UX system to some other
FTP server? Can you test anything other than
FTP between the problem systems?

"ftp" is not a very detailed description of
anything. ASCII or binary? Active or
passive? "get" or "put"? Different FTP
client programs can do things in different
ways. Some FTP clients have "debug"
diagnostic messages which sometimes reveal
useful things.

> Hard to tall without seeing an actual
> command output.

I'm with him (if "tall" was really "tell").
What, exactly, does "not finish" mean?
John Jimenez
Super Advisor

I apologize for the lack on details. The issue was with an automated job that a programmer reported.
I just received the ftp username and passwords and will be testing myself. I also need to be assigned permissions to browse Windows FTP server. I am UNIX admin and not Windows Admin, so do not have an administrators rights to Windows FTP server. I will report back ASAP.
Jose Mosquera
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi,

Looks like wintel server are not defined correctly the return path of data via LAN, please check your routing tables on involved servers (netstat -rn) and certify that your destination net is accesible by the correct gateway. The traceroute command (wintel=tracert, hp-ux=traceroute) could be useful to determine the used path to go from one node to other, and viceversa.

Rgds.
John Jimenez
Super Advisor

Earlier in the day we requested Windows group to reboot server, but they only restarted ftp services instead... which did not make any difference. Luckily later in the day a 2nd complaint came from a customer who could not access either. So at that point they rebooted winodws server about 4:30 PM yesterday and right after our HP ftp processes has started working. But this was all done before I was granted permissions to get you the details. So I never determined why som windows clients were still able to put files, but a few like my hp server was not. Thanks Jose and others for the recommendations. I will keep note of those for next time.