1752631 Members
5722 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

issue with "telnet ipaddress port#"

Hanry Zhou
Super Advisor

issue with "telnet ipaddress port#"

On hp-ux, if I do  "telnet ip-a 1521" then it works. the remote site is a Solaris server.

However, if I telnet to ifferent server(solaris as well): "telnet ip-b 1521", then i got timed out. I can do "the same from a window PC, and got successfull.

Is this something I need to look into on the local server or on the remote server. If this is the issue with the remote server, are there any restrictions on the remote server "ip-b", and disallow particular servers to telnet into a particular port, and how?

Thanks, 

none
5 REPLIES 5
Jeff_Traigle
Honored Contributor

Re: issue with "telnet ipaddress port#"

If you can successfully connect to port 1521 on ip-b from a PC, but not from a Solaris server, it's most likely a firewall issue or maybe the Oracle listener has the ability to control which networks it will accept connections from.

--
Jeff Traigle
Hanry Zhou
Super Advisor

I can telnet 1521 to a Solaris from a PC not from  a HPUX.

none
Jeff_Traigle
Honored Contributor

That's not what you said in the original post. You also mentioned telneting to ip-a initially and then started saying ip-b in the remainder of the post. Are you really trying to get to the same Oracle server from each server or PC?

--
Jeff Traigle
Hanry Zhou
Super Advisor

from a hpux, i can telnet 1521 to solaris A server, but not to Solaris B server. I can telnet Solaris B server from a PC.

none
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

Do the logs on the Solaris B server tell you anything useful?  Perhaps /var/log/messages or /var/log/syslog or whatever is appropriate on this system would be a good starting point.