New Discussion юеВ

Re: login process takes long time

SOLVED
Go to solution
harry d brown jr
Honored Contributor

Fernando,

Do you have any other 10.20 HP-ux boxes that don't have this "problem"?

If so, compare

/etc/hosts
/etc/resolv.conf
/etc/nsswitch.conf
netstat -rvn

Take into account that the two servers will have their on personality (IE: their own IP addr and other minor IP/NAME differences).

live free or die
harry d brown jr
Live Free or Die
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

Your idea of removing DNS capability from the problem box is a good one. It's real simple: just rename the DNS file:

mv /etc/resolv.conf /etc/resolv.conf.old

To make sure your /etc/hosts file is OK, do this:

nslookup $(hostname)

That should say:

Using /etc/hosts on: k370

looking up FILES
Name: k370
Address: 192.168.0.10

Which means: your local machine (my example uses k370 as the hostname) can find it's IP address in /etc/hosts. If everything is quick, then your DNS file is not configured correctly. The recommendation to run the /etc/resolv.conf file is incorrect--it is simply a data file with the IP addresses of available nameservers. It looks something like this:

domain mycompany.com
nameserver 200.150.100.50
nameserver 12.34.56.78
nameserver 78.65.43.21

What this means is that your overall company network name (called a domain name) is mycompany.com, and there are 3 DNS servers that can be used. There is no point is trying to get DNS working if these addresses are incorrect or the DNS server is configured to ignore your requests. To see if the nameservers will talk to you:

nslookup $(hostname) 200.150.100.50
nslookup $(hostname) 12.34.56.78
nslookup $(hostname) 87.65.43.21

Each working DNS server will come back immediately and say something like this:

Name Server: ns1.mycompany.com
Address: 200.150.100.50

Trying DNS
Addresses: 192.168.0.10

Now it is very important to read the first few lines from nslookup. Here are error messages that are really important:

"Specified server is not available." (this means that this is not a DNS server or it refuses to talk to you)

"Can't resolve 200.150.100.50" (this means that this name server is misconfigured--it doesn't know it's own name)

Post the output of nslookup for your own hostname using each of the servers in your /etc/resolv.conf file.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Fernando Acevedo
Frequent Advisor

Harry, I don't have other 10.20 hp server, I have other 11.00 hp servers working fine. Any way I compare the files you suggest and the only difference is the hp 11.00 servers don't have /etc/nsswitch.conf file.

Bill I renamed the file /etc/resolv.conf and the result is the same. Looks like the /etc/hosts file is working, see the result:

$ nslookup n4000
... 30 seconds showing nothing ...

looking up FILES
Name: n4000
Address: 200.25.0.110

$ nslookp k370

looking up FILES
Address: 200.25.0.112

I also tried with the file /etc/resolv.conf renamed, the follow:

$ nslookup 200.25.0.101 (pri win dns server)

looking up FILES
Name: lnmxpdc
Address: 200.25.0.101

$ nslookup 200.25.0.102 (sec win dns server)

looking up FILES
Name: lnmxbdc
Address: 200.25.0.102

Now is not trying to use the DNS servers because the file /etc/resolv.conf doesn├В┬┤t exist, instead is using directly the /etc/hosts file but the delays still happends in the same way.
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

Rename the nsswitch.conf file. It sounds like there is a problem with the "hosts:" line in that file. By getting rid of both nsswitch.conf and resolv.conf, the delay should disappear.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Fernando Acevedo
Frequent Advisor

Bill, I already renamed the /etc/nsswitch.conf file, the result is the same, the delay still.
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

The 30 sec delay exactly matches the standard DNS delay when an attempt to contact a DNS failure fails. Are you using NIS (centralized user/password files) The only other suggestion is to patch to the last release (Dec 2001) for your 10.20 system. And make sure automounter is completely disabled (several places) in /etc/rc.config.d/nfsconf.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Fernando Acevedo
Frequent Advisor

BILL thanks a lot!!!!

BINGO BINGO BINGO !!!!!!

I disable the NIS service and now the server k370 is responding inmediatly in login process, ping, traceourte, etc, etc, etc.

Thanks also to all the other guys tried to help me.