108758 Solutions
New Discussion

rx6600 data transfer rates

SOLVED
Go to solution
Topgun232
Occasional Collector

rx6600 data transfer rates

I have inherited a few rx6600 using 11v3. My concern is I am seeing a 20-30MB/s transfer rate on an sftp (5GB @2 iso files) sustained on two servers configured pretty much the same. 8 active cores, 32GB ram, 4GB San. On one system it is a straight 1GB NIC on the other I have a 4NIC -4GB fat pipe. The source system is an Integrity running Oracle Linux with a 4GB 4nic bonded pipe.

I have no historical baselines on these systems. My question is "In general on a typical HPUX 11v3 install what kind of data through-put should be expected on systems described above? " My guess is 65MB/s minimum

In advance, thank you for your insight's and expertise in this matter.

I am new to his forum, learning the ropes.

P.S. This thread has been moved from Integrity Servers to HP-UX > networking. - Hp Forum Moderator

1 REPLY 1
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: rx6600 data transfer rates

You have to remember that you have quite a bit of overhead for encryption / decryption when copying via scp.  This will dramatically impact file transfer performance.  The encryption / decryption is a single-threaded process, so multiple CPUs will not help.  You will not get anywhere close to wire speed with SCP.

For pure file transfer performance a basic FTP is usually the fastest.

I ran a couple of tests --

I transferred a 2.3 GB filebetween 2 servers with FTP and SCP.  The FTP averaged about 12 MB/s and the SCP 8.7 MB/s.

I did the same transfer between 2 other servers, with both FTP and SCP.  With these the FTP averaged about 32.5 MB/s and the SCP averaged 17.3 MB/s.