1753898 Members
7749 Online
108809 Solutions
New Discussion

Burner on a network?

Kris Arneson

Burner on a network?

Hi all

Is it possible to burn a CD on a workstation based burner remotely from a laptop?
I'm thinking it's not, but I have a customer who would like a definitive answer.

Thanks!

Kris Arneson

P.S. This thread has been moved from Storage > General to Optical Jukeboxes & Drives. - Hp Forum Moderator

5 REPLIES 5
Eric de Lange_2
Respected Contributor

Re: Burner on a network?

Hello Kris,

I am not aware of a package that offers this functionality 'out of the box' apart maybe from some professional systems ($$$$)

if the customer wants to do it really remotely, he might do it by copying data to the workstation, starting a PC-anywhere (or something similar) session to that workstation and start the CD burning software from there.

He also could try sharing a DirectCD controlled writer on the network as well.

In both cases: what happens if he wants to burn, the burner is empty and there is no-one to load a CD for him ?

Just some thoughts...

regards,

Cal.
Kris Arneson

Thanks for the response!

I had already come to the same conclusion, but the customer had difficulty understanding that if he did not have some one sitting at the workstation, he would still have to go there and put a CD in...unless he can make a really accurate discus/CD throw from his office. :-)
John Bolene
Honored Contributor

I do this on my home network but the burner is not on the network. It just creates coasters or decorative wall hangings if it is.

I first copy all the files I want to the network shared drive that resides on the machine with the burner.

Since I have physical access to this machine, it easier to just go to it and then burn the files onto a CD-RW or CD-R.

Remote control software can be used over the network to do this and at work we have CA ControlIt to do that function.

But someone has to go change the CD.
It is always a good day when you are launching rockets! http://tripolioklahoma.org, Mostly Missiles http://mostlymissiles.com
Michael Kile

The CD burners were not designed to work on a network. With all the possible bottlenecks you are more then likely going to make coasters due to buffer underruns. Checkout this URL http://www.hp.com/cgi-bin/cposupport/get_doc.pl?SNI=hpcdwriter22102&LC=information_storage&Tfile=lpg40110#P6_1301

Michael
Jim Wormell

Hi Kris

Formatting a CD with Direct CD and then sharing the CD Writer on the network will allow you to copy files to the shared drive from a remote system. This is not a supported configuraton and offers very little advantage over copying files to any other drive on the network. You can only do this in UDF format.

All other CD recording require an applicaton like Eazy CD be running, which is not possible from a remote computer.

Jim
rock til you drop