Optical Jukeboxes and Drives
1748246 Members
3709 Online
108760 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

CD-ROM Driver HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-4084N

Jeffrey Tondreau

Re: CD-ROM Driver HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-4084N

I was recently having some trouble with my DVD Drive too. Went through the basic steps to try and solve the issue. Uninstall the driver then reinstall. Nothing was working. It kept telling me that there was an issue with the drive. My computer would detect the drive but wasnt able to use it. So i came across this blog and tried your regedit advice. worked like a charm! saved me a lot of playing around with it myself and possibly more headaches! Thanks a bunch!
Maria Benyon
Occasional Advisor

I have the same problem, I have tried everything, formatting, reinstalling deleting the upperfilters and lower filters, I can record CD ok but DVDS sometimes and then suddenly it stops recording and my DVD drive disappears, I restart and it reinstalls. There must be some driver missing or something because I have tried with different programs to record, Nero, Windows, sonic and even changed the DVD, it is something with my pavillion dv8000 and the windows home XP.
I would be grateful if anyone can help
Thanks
Fernando Hocevar

I Have The same Issue as well
My HP Pavillion Media Center dv5163cl Notebook PC CD-Rom driver is corrupt=> I need to reinstall CD-ROM Driver HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-4084N firmware.

Please post download link. Cannot install from CD.

HP Pavillion Media Center dv5163cl Notebook PC
HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-4084N
Maria Benyon
Occasional Advisor

Fernando, I contacted hp helpdesk support center and all they have done is tell me to take it back to hp service, they have already changed my DVD drive to a different model and my laptop is a dv8000 and it is just 2 years old, I had the same problem with the previous DVD and the new one they have installed too. The firmware doesn't work it is a conflict between windows and the driver or DVD. The only way it works in my case is by not downloading any windows updates specially the windows player ones.
Regards
Ed Brinskele

The problem is a conflict with ITunes registry changes used by ITunes to burn cds. Unfortunately there is still no clearing house for applications compatibility anywhere on the planet.

Ed
Maria Benyon
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for the Info, it could be cause I use itunes for my ipod and the problems started then. In the end I think I need an Apple!
Regards
Hortensia Ullivarri

I have the same problem. I have had this problem off and on for a while. I have uninstalled the driver, deleted the drive, reinstalled both and even changed the registry and it still does not work.

HELP please.
Maria Benyon
Occasional Advisor

Hi Monica, are you using Nero?
I have found out it has to do with windows updates. I even changed the DVD unit and the problem started again and it does come and go after uninstalling and doing the the following:
Go to System Admin tools and select the recording unit and uninstall it. Then Go to Controlers ATA/ATAPI and do a right click on it you will find secondary IDE and delete this too with a left click selecting it. (don't worry it will detect it back properly again when you restart. Once you have uninstalled them. Then reboot and it will detect new hardware found and Then clean the XP registry files go to Start, execute on your right and a window will open and type "REGEDIT" acept and the registry editor will open. go to File and export the registry file for security under another name on your desktop just incase.
Once you have the the security copy of your registry, click on the + HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
SYSTEM go to "CurrentControlSet" (or if you have several choose the one with the lowest serial number) then open + and go to "Control" open + and go to Class Select 4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318 to find this number easily you can also copy and paste it in edit - "find" and it will find it for you, there are several but the first one you find is the CD/DVD one and on your right you will see "UpperFilter" pulse delete (Check it is the CD/DVD one it will tell on the right and ususually the first one. If you have "LowerFilter" do the same, delete it. Sorry but you have to save and reboot again.
Normally it solved the problem for me for some time, others I have to format and reinstall. If you have Nero uninstall it before doing all of this and reinstall it. but it happens with other programs too, I tried Sonic that came with my laptop and I could only record CD no DVDs.
When I update from windows or nero I choose custom instalation and it is true that when I have updated itunes it starts again with the problems (so no updates while it works).
First I thought the DVDs were wrong and I used to throw them away and now I realized some don't damage and work perfectly.
I tried several expensive different DVDs and it is a software conflict for sure.
Good luck
Maria Benyon
Occasional Advisor

where I wrote execute I meant run...
I live in Spain so I had to tranlate it!
Sorry
srwagner

In this thread, a significant symptom has been that the DVD-ROM was listed in Device Manager. I encountered a similar set of symptoms (failure to recognize DVD-ROM) in which the DVD-ROM was NOT listed in the Device Manager.
In this case, I could boot the computer from a bootable CD-ROM (Ubuntu 7.10), so hardware and BIOS were working, but Windows still failed to recognize the drive.
There were 20 occurrences in the System Event Log of a message:
"An error was detected on device \device\cdrom0 during a paging operation"
followed by:
"The device 'HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-4084N' (IDE\CDRomHL-DT-ST_DVDRAM_GSA-4084N__________ ...) disappeared from the system without first being prepared for removal."

I contacted HP support - their advice was to shut down the computer, remove the DVD-ROM unit (single screw in a deep socket on the bottom of the case, then just pull out), start windows WITHOUT the DVD-ROM unit, shut down the computer, reinstall the DVD-ROM unit, and restart. This procedure worked; my DVD-ROM is once again recognized.