Optical Jukeboxes and Drives
1753679 Members
5702 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion

CD Writer 8200

Dale Randle

CD Writer 8200

I've tried to install my CD Writer into 5 computers now with no success. Did they recall this product?

P.S. This thread has been moved from  Disk to Optical Jukeboxes & Drives. -HP Forum Moderator

Screw around, Screw acround and pretty soon you won't be around.
7 REPLIES 7
andy conroy

Re: CD Writer 8200

what os where these machines? ive tried 2 win ME machine's and it wont install
Albert Wong

Hi guys,
I can't seem to get my HP CD Writer 8200 USB to work on my MS Windows 2000 Adv Server.

I've downloaded the newest drivers from HP and my machine is a Dell 8000 Inspiron.

Any help would be appreicated!

-aw
Thom Snider

I have an 8200 external that will not install on a Dell Inspiron 3800 laptop w/ Win2000. It works fine on my Win2000 Desktop.

Symptoms include: finding the device and beginning installation of drivers then hanging. Failure to boot with device attached, locking up the device manager, mmc.exe failing to respond and other system hangs. Is this a device driver problem or a system resource allocation issue? I know these Dell Inspirons have limited resources for expansion devices, but really now, this shouldn't be an issue. Can anyone please help? And has anyone successfully gotten this external burner to work with a Win2000 laptop?
Barry Wolf

ADAPTEC SOFTWARE DOES NOT WORK PROPERLY ON WIN98, WIN2K ETC. THE PUBLIC NEWSGROUPS ARE FULL OF COMPLAINTS REGARDING THIS. THIS APPLIES TO THE LAST TWO VERSIONS OF EASYCD ETC. HP IS AWARE OF THE PROBLEM BUT HAS NOT ISSUED A PUBLIC STATEMENT. I HAVE INSTALLED THE SOFTWARE ON FIVE DIFFERENT SYSTEMS WITH SIMILAR RESULTS--- IT FAILS EITHER ALL OF THE TIME OR INTERMITTENTLY. THE UNINSTALL DOES NOT REMOVE THE DRIVERS OR CLEANUP THE REGISTRY. YOU MUST EDIT THE REGISTRY TO REMOVE THE UPPER AND LOWER FILTERS FOR THE DRIVERS, CDR4*. BE CAREFULL AS YOU CAN MAKE A MESS. THE DIRECTCD SOFTWARE SEEMS TO WORK MOST OF THE TIME. I AM USING NERO ROM BURNING ON A RELIABLE BASIS. HP HAS ALSO SENT ME A FRESH COPY OF THE SOFTWARE FROM ADAPTEC BUT IT ALSO FAILS. MY ADVICE IS NOT TO USE THE ADAPTEC SOFTWARE AT THIS TIME. THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH THE HP CD HARDWARE.
Plenty Groover

Does the Adaptec issue also apply to the 8250i Drive? Since it is a software issue, I want to say yes, but you can never tell sometimes with the controllers on the drives. The specific problem I'm having is with lockups after creating a single CD and then trying to do another. Also, the drive occasionally spins down and then becomes unrecognizable until it spins up again (10 - 15 seconds).
thx
You can never be more than you wish to be...
Juan_3

I do have the same problem with my Dell Lattitude CPx and Windows 2000. Happens that after trying to install the 8200 and installing the Adaptec software, my Internal CD/DVD it is not working now. When I go to the Device Manager I got the following message:

"This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device. (Code 31)"

Any idea about what to do to get my DVD/CD to work again?
Roger Faucher
Honored Contributor

Albert:
Download BIOS A06 from Dell's website:

http://support.dell.com/us/en/filelib/results.asp

Thom:
Download BIOS A11 from Dell's website:

http://support.dell.com/us/en/filelib/results.asp

Good luck!

BTW, I'm not a heavy user but I have no problem with the Adaptec software on my homemade WIN2K Intel MB machine.
Make a great day!

Roger