5287 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion

Cannot access IDE cd-rom after installing HP CD-Writer+ 8200e on Win2K Pro

John Somers
Occasional Contributor

Cannot access IDE cd-rom after installing HP CD-Writer+ 8200e on Win2K Pro

Hi,

I've recently installed my HP CD-Writer+ 8200e onto a Windows 2000 system (with Windows 2K updated drivers 4.2.3.3), and now whenever I put a cd-rom into the system's IDE drive the IDE cd-rom icon in My Computer is not refreshed with the cd-rom title and when double-clicked, the OS prompts to insert a disc into the drive.

To resolve this matter I have done the following:
1. Uninstalled Easy CD Creator 5 Platinum

2. Removed the HP CD-Writer+ 8200e driver from the Device Manager and renamed the driver files to something else to prevent the cd-rom being reinstalled at startup. The files I renamed are: HPUATA.INF, HPUATA.SYS, HPIOSATA.INF, HPIOSATA.PDR, EUIOSMSD.PDR, EUIOSMSD.INF, EUSBMSD.SYS

I restarted my system after this and the HP CD-Writer+ is still being identified when plugged into the system (even though the driver files have been renamed ???)

3. Next I removed the HP CD-Writer 8200e and the IDE CD-ROM device from the Device Manager and restarted hoping that this would clear up the problem, again the HP drive was identified when plugged in and proved to be no resolution.

4. Finally I edited the registry and ensured that the Upperfilters and Lowerfilters values were removed from the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} key, again removed both devices from Device Manager and restarted. And again this proved unsuccessful.

I've installed the same drivers on a few Windows 2000 Pro systems without any trouble before so I'm not exactly a newbie user.

What else can I try ?

Regards,
John