Optical Jukeboxes and Drives
1752796 Members
5905 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HP 1200MX I/O Errors

docbom

HP 1200MX I/O Errors

I'm having random problems on an HP 1200mx with IBM TSM software. I'm seeing I/O errors happen almost every other day inside my TSM activity log. TSM is reporting I/O errors with the drives or the library.

I called HP and they replaced the drives. I still saw I/O errors in the TSM activity log. HP replaced the SCSI cable. I still see I/O errors. HP has suggested that it is something else in my environment that is throwing the error, but I'm not so sure about that. TSM could be instructing the jukebox to write data. Then the I/O error happens and it is logged inside TSM. TSM will mark the optical platter as read-only and then grabs a new platter that is successfully written to. If it was something in my environment I don't think TSM or the jukebox should be able to start writing new stuff immediately. I'm always noticing that I/O errors happen usually around 45-48% or 92-96% of filling in the 9.1GB platters.

Any thoughts on what could be the problem? Jukebox diagnostics are successful on a full test, but I'm not so sure that HP LT&T is doing a full test to write the platters up to 100%.
5 REPLIES 5
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

Re: HP 1200MX I/O Errors

It may be the problem is with the environment, contamination, dust on th platters.
do you have the sense code reported back to the host, is it write error?
you can check if some disk have been contamined, by opening the cartridge windows, and passing slowly with a white clean cloth.
Marino
mark webb_2
Advisor

Your media is most likey dirty. Clean the media with lint free cloth. Make sure you handle the media properly. You should also have the jukebox cleaned. I have seen the problems go away entirely after a good cleaning! Store the media in the proper cases and do not handle with your bare hands. The oils will attract dirt.
docbom

How do I get the jukebox cleaned? I've read PDF documents by HP and they say no preventative maintenance is required for this jukebox. I'm not 100% positive if the problems are due to dirty WORM media. The optical platters come in their own caddy so I assume they stay clean somewhat.
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

First of all you need to check if the cause of the problem is contamination. If you JB is in a clean room with efficient AirConditioner and filters, you probably are not facing this problem.
But if you have the JB in a room where you have for example impact printers, or laser printer, or in an area where you had some work in progress... you may face this contamination problem.
This has nothing to do with preventive maintenance. the internal airflow on the drives is made in a way that it should avoid any deposit on the lenses and on the platters (this in a normal clean environment)
JiMoore

I had a similar issue recently, found the drivers on the scsi card were out of date. Once they were updated, the disks were allowed to go to 100%. I think it was a file table allocation limitation issue.