Optical Jukeboxes and Drives
1756020 Members
2792 Online
108839 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HP CD-writer won't recognize blank CDs

Mindy Spearman

HP CD-writer won't recognize blank CDs

My internal HP Cd-Writer Plus (a Mitsumi CR-4845TE) will not recognize blank CDs. I have tried numerous different burning programs (my favorite is Nero) without success. The drive will recognize any CD filled with data or audio without a problem. I have an HP Pavilion 7950, running Windows 2000 Professional. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!
3 REPLIES 3
KenE
Advisor

Re: HP CD-writer won't recognize blank CDs

Turn off your computer. Unattach your IDE cable from the writer and turn the power back on. Put a blank disk into the writer and watch for activity on the LED. If the light does anything except bling green and go solid green, you've got a bad drive.
paul courry
Honored Contributor

Not quite. Sounds like you have an older drive. Are you using CD-R's or CD-RW's? If CD-RW's and it is an older drive then it only recognizes lo speed media (look at disk) that support 1x4 speed.
mflbarley76

Hi
I have a HP Pavillion 461.uk

I seem to have almost the exact same problem with my internal cd-r drive (Samsung cd-r/rw sw-224b)

I have found that it does accept HP specific manufactured discs (Which are hard to find and expensive). All others it seems to fail to recognise, but it does actually read info on other disc with info already on them.

What should I do to rectify this?