Optical Jukeboxes and Drives
1752288 Members
3902 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion

I need Mo Storage! (Magnetic Optical Library)

Keven Tipping_3
Occasional Contributor

I need Mo Storage! (Magnetic Optical Library)

Greetings to all.

As par with the above topic.. I'm looking for Mo storage. Literally.

I found a nice little HP 20XT Optical Library in nice condition on eBay with 15 Origenal MO disks and a Power cable. I guess SCSI-2? All for 99 Cents US (yes, $0.99), but shipping is $50 because it is rather large...

Anyhow. I just started noticing MO disks around Staples and any Verbatim retailer in my city. Around $80 per 1.2gb/1.3gb Rewritable disk, 5-1/2'.

I know what MO is all about, but I've never really considered it. But if you compare the lifetime of a disk -> a Tape, then, the extra $$ is worth it.

What I'm in for is MO Rewritable media. I have a few questions if anyone can answer them.

First off. How fast is the 20XT Library? I know its 16 Slot.. I think 2X or 4X.

Second, whats the data transfer rates for the MO drive, using 1.2gb/1.3gb REWRITABLE Media? HP's site is a pin-in-haystack for information.

Third- how long does MO rewritable media last? Specificly, the feature I'm attracted to is the ability to mount Filesystems on it, and use it like a removable HD as far as I've heard. Is it decently fast for using like this, or are MO drives the dumps and really slow? I think that Verbatim rated the media at 10^7 Erases.. Thats alot...

Third- do I have to clean the MO drive, or is the Library casing fairly dust-proof and clean? Or is it like a CD Drive.. They rarely get dirty, and the Cleaning disks virtually do nothing at all that a can of Compressed air can't.

Forth: How does the 20XT load? I presume by the mailbox slot at the top of the unit? Hit some load button, the screenie says "Load" or similar, and you plop in the cart?

5th and Last:
Compatibility.. I know Win2000Server won't do WORM Disks without 3rd Party. But what about MO Disks- is it like I said- the drive is formatted and used like a Removable HD?
Does each library slot show up like seperate drives under Win2K, like drive E, F, G, H, I, J, (repeat for 16 letters), or do I need HP software to change the Library disks? Ideally, I would like to have each of the 16 slots shared as "drives" over my Network, through my Netserver (which has AIC-7870 onboard), so when I send data or request data, the library runs and fetches the right disk when I click on the specific drive letter. Is das possiblo?

Any answers would be grrrreeeeeat!
1 REPLY 1
Rothery Harris
Trusted Contributor

Re: I need Mo Storage! (Magnetic Optical Library)

Dear Keven,

Your library should be SCSI single ended or high voltage differential. They are usually switchable. MO media is one of the best long term archival media. I have seen specification of 100 years archive life.
You load media through the mailslot either under software application command or by using the front panel. If you wade through the menus you should find a move media section.
The library will appear as a drive and a picker mechanism. The slots only are shown in software applications. You will need some software for this device. Vacuum out as much dust as possible.

Regards

Rothery