1757219 Members
2842 Online
108859 Solutions
New Discussion

Long operations on 8230e no longer work

hap_1
Occasional Contributor

Long operations on 8230e no longer work

I have an hp cd-writer 8230e (USB interface) which has given me flawless performance over the last 3+ years. The 8230e still works flawlessly (short and long operations) on another computer, but no longer works on my PC, so I suspect drivers on my PC have become corrupted.
On my PC, all short operations (format disk, read/write files) work fine. But for any long operations (reading/writing of files which together total 20, 30 or more MB) the 8230e stops working, the window showing the copy operation continues to look like it's still operating, and stopping the task usually results in many blue screens of death, frequently to the point of deep-lock.
I have gone into the Device Manager from safe mode and removed all drivers related to USB and hp 8230e. When I reboot, it reinstalls all the drivers from the hard disk, but the problem persists.
I no longer have any application software installed for the 8230e, I'm just using the drivers that are on the hard drive. With those, I am able to read from the 8230e as if it's just a CD-ROM, but it still locks on long read operations (again, the 8230e works flawlessly on another computer).
What I want to do is delete the drivers from the hard disk. That way, when I boot I will be asked for a CD disk with the drivers on it, and if they were corrupted, I'll put clean copies on the hard drive.
Question: How do I get the installer to ask for a disk instead of finding drivers on the hard disk?
There must be W98se drivers for USB also, could those be corrupted and how would I reload them to the hard drive from the W98se disk?
Also, I have tried installing the 8230e drivers from the hp website, but I always get the message, "USB driver already up to date". So how can I delete the 8230e drivers from the hard disk so I can reinstall them?
By the way, the last successful (long) operation I performed with the 8230e on my PC was to copy a copywrited disk.

P.S. This thread has been moevd from Storage > General to Optical Jukeboxes & Drives. - Hp Forum Moderator