1752317 Members
5835 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Surestore 330FX

Neil Ashworth_2
Occasional Contributor

Surestore 330FX

I have a customer with a Surstore 330FX with 4 drives. He also has a now broken 330FX but the drives are OK. Can he take his two drives from one unit and install them in the working unit and giving him 6 available drives. Are there any configuration/updates that may be required for the disca to work
7 REPLIES 7
Curtis Ballard
Honored Contributor

Re: Surestore 330FX

Shouldn't be a problem adding drives to a 330FX. The firmware autodetects new drives and should enable them automatically.
Neil Ashworth_2
Occasional Contributor

One of our customers has a Surestore 330fx which is identified as a C1104F. He has purchased two drives from us but is unable to upgrade the firmware to recognise the new drives. I have looked into this and the Storageworks tool identifies the unit as a C1104F but is not recognised as a supported unit. I need to upgrade the firmware but cannot. Can you help or suggest anything to me?
meloni
Honored Contributor

For what I can see the 330 FX is a supported product for L&TT, you should be able to upgrade FW from it

http://h18006.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/11591_div/11591_div.html
---------------X-------------------X--------------------X----------------X--------------
If everything is under control, you are going too slow (Mario Andretti)
Neil Ashworth_2
Occasional Contributor

The problem is that the hp storageworks tool does not recognise the C1104F as a supported product. Hence I cannot upgrade the software to support more than 4 drives. The problem could be resolved if I could force a software update as a C1107F which is a 6 drive configurable 330FX.
Does anyone know how to force the tools to use the C110f firmwaer, or has anyone got the C1104 included intheir tools firmware tables?
meloni
Honored Contributor

I'm not sure you have to change the enquiry string for that upgrade, c1107fx and c1104fx seems to have different accontoller.

But after having installed the two new drives, you should "restore to default value" from the front panel

marino
---------------X-------------------X--------------------X----------------X--------------
If everything is under control, you are going too slow (Mario Andretti)
Curtis Ballard
Honored Contributor

Was away for a while and just got back. I see there is more information posted now.

The C1104F is a reduced capacity 330FX and can only use 4 drives. An upgrade to a full capacity library was required before it would allow 6 drives. Upgrading firmware will not override that function, the upgrade had to be purchased. It is very possible that the upgrades are no longer available if it has been more than 5 years since the product was discontinued.

That doesn't explain though why LTT doesn't recognize a C1104F. I'll submit that as an issue.
Curtis Ballard
Honored Contributor

I did some further checking on the support for the different libraries.

Both the C1107 and the C1104 should report exactly the same over SCSI. The controller is different because the C1107 supports more drives and slots, but the inquiry string is the same to simplify software integration.

At some point the inquiry string on your library must have been reprogrammed incorrectly. You should be able to force the inquiry string back to the default and get LTT to recognize the library by going into the front panel under "ADMIN *", then "CONFIG *" and set "CONF 40" to ON. That will force the inquiry string to report the built in default value and LTT will be able to recognize it and update firmware.

The new firmware won't handle more drives though, you'll need the different controller for that.