Optical Jukeboxes and Drives
1748022 Members
5091 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

dvd/cdrw drive problems on new laptop

Mike Robbin

dvd/cdrw drive problems on new laptop

brand new hp pavilion ze4125 laptop purchased 3 days ago. i go to create a cd, and it tells me that "no compatible recordable or rewritable devices could be found on your system" does anyone have any idea as to the problem? my brother works at circuit city and suggested that there may be a new driver that i need to install

P.S. This thread has been m oved from Disk to Optical Jukeboxes & Drives. - Hp Forum Moderator

8 REPLIES 8
Paul Sperry
Honored Contributor

Re: dvd/cdrw drive problems on new laptop

It could be bad media too. Try a different blank CD. IF you put in a cd with data already on it can you see the contents of the CD? If not your drive may be faulty.
Paul Sperry
Honored Contributor

There is also a Firmware upgrade for QSI DVD/CD-RW combo drive model SBW-081 here:

http://h20004.www2.hp.com/soar_rnotes/bsdmatrix/matrix214341en_US.html

That you may want to try.
KenE
Advisor

What's happening is theat the software (sounds like Record Now) is not detecting your drive. First, you'll need to make sure that Windows sees the cdrw drive in Device Manager. Assuming that it does, it may just be a matter of reinstalling Record Now. If it's not seen by Windows, then forget about the software and work on the drivers/firmware.
Solntse
Frequent Advisor

i also got ze4125 but i have sbw-241 for dvd/cd-rw. i get the same error message whenever i try to record anything to the cd using hp recordnow software. does anyone know what the heck is going on????????
Mike McPherson

I had the exact same problem with a pavilion ze5170 laptop that I just purchased. There was a cd that shipped with the laptop entitled 'CDRW Software Upgrade'. This CD had a newer version of 'Record Now' software on it. This is the CD burning software that was pre-installed on the laptop. The machine came with version 3.5 installed and the upgrade CD removed version 3.5 and installed version 4.1. This seems to have fixed the problem.

HP support line was suggesting I use the recovery CDs to revert to the factory settings. This litte fix saved me several days of reinstalling and setting up software again!
Solntse
Frequent Advisor

i did the installation of 4.1 it did fixed the problem, but when it was burning cd @ 98% it would sort of freeze, and throw a message at me saying that files did not mach the originals. see my other posts on this problem to get better idea what i'm talking about. in one of them i even posted the pictures of the error messgaes i was getting. still no fix, i called hp, and sended it in for service. to me it looks like it is the hardware problem than the software or at least iw was in my case. also i should mention that i have tried nero with no luck.
siggi_2

Got the same problem. Tried just about anything. uninstalled and installed cd/rewr drivers and recordnow 3.5 several times, also tried Nero and Recordnow4.1 without resaults.
jean_14

If after the patch and drivers are updated and it still doesn't allow you to record, make sure you right click on the CDRW icon in my computer and click on the "record" tab. Upon delvery, the box for "enable for CD recording" is NOT checked.............CHECK IT.....otherwise you will not be able to RECORD on your CD!

Hope this helps.