Optical Jukeboxes and Drives
1752478 Members
5670 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: 9900 cd-writer does not work with XP

matic

9900 cd-writer does not work with XP

I have an HP DVD/CD-Writer combo that registers as 9900j under Windows XP. In the past, I've been able to burn CD-Rs without problems under Windows 98, Windows ME, Windows 2000 Professional and Windows 2000 Advanced Server. I've recently upgraded to Windows XP and I can burn "Image" files, like files that end with .bin/.cue (using Fireburner) with this drive, but if I try to burn normal files onto the CD, it consistently fails at the same point everytime: it will burn the CD-R fine until it's 99% complete and as it's finishing, it fails with either a buffer underrun error or a trackwriter error (depending on what software I'm using).

I've tried to search HP, Microsoft and the Internet in general for a fix to this, but nothing has worked so far. Here's a quick list of what I've done:

- tried using Easy CD Creator Platinum 5.3.1 SP4 (with latest patch to work with Windows XP), Ahead Nero 5.5.9.9 (latest version available), HP RecordNow CD Mastering Software 3.5b. All three of the above packages fail at the exact same point of the burn process -- right at the end (99% done)

- In addition to trying the latest version of RecordNow 3.5b, I've updated HP's DLA Software to 3.1

- I've checked and double checked that DMA is set on for this drive through Windows XP

- I've defragged all my partitions and hard drives, rebooted my computer and only opened the CD-Writing software to burn. I've tried burning as low as 2x, but it still fails at the end

- .bin/.cue images burn fine using Fireburner software, so it leads me to suspect that the CD-Writer is ok, but it has to do with either the burning software, the OS, or both

I don't know what else to do, and I've already wasted over 20 CD-Rs trying to correct this problem.

Please let me know if you have any suggestions how to fix this problem.

I've contacted HP Technical Support and they told me to uninstall all third party software because they aren't supported, then reinstall HP RecordNow. I did so, but it still fails at the same point. HP doesn't seem to have any other suggestions.

Has anyone else ran into this problem and was able to solve it?

P.S. This thread has been moved from Storage > General to Optical Jukeboxes & Drives. - Hp Forum Moderator

2 REPLIES 2
matic

I updated the Adaptec ASPI Drivers for Windows version 4.71 from:

http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/support/driversbycat.html?sess=no&cat=%2fOperating+System%2fMicrosoft+Windows+XP

After doing this, I was able to burn one data CD and two audio CDs.

I thought I had the problem fixed, but I've tried to burn 8 more data CDs and they've all failed.

So now I'm completely baffled.
jeff_169

I noticed there has been no solution posted for this problem. I am having a very similar problem. My PC shop tried two different CD burners - one just a CD R/W drive, one a combo CD/DVD RW drive- on my XP Pro system, with the same result. Have you come across a solution?